Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering a Garmin GPS unit for my bike for a couple of reasons.
1. Better technology and user interface.
2. Lifetime updates.
3. Bluetooth capability
4. Satellite radio interface. I am so tired of the stock satellite radio reception.
5. Portability. I can take it in my car with me. Plus, getting the navigation option in a new car adds a huge expense. I have it now and I don't think I'll ever get it again.
6. It's Christmas time!

Besides the expense and the fact that it something else to be mounted on your handlebar are there really any disadvantages to having this?

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
I have a garmin nuvi 880 GPS, and sirus radio on mine would not be without them.
But that's me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 and love it. I use a separate XM radio that I move between my bike and truck as I do not want to have two subscriptions. A friend also has a 550 with XM and loves it. The Zumo is made for motorcycles and is waterproof. The Nuvi line is not waterproof and is made to be inside your car. I have seen them used on bikes, but like the Zumo as I do not have to stop and pack it away when it starts to rain. I do not want to mess with plastic bags over it when it rains.

The Satellite radio unit on the Zumo is in the antenna. The antenna is the size of a hockey puck. So, if you want to use the radio in your car, you will have to move both the GPS and the antenna from the bike to your car.

Just some things to think about.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
I have a Nuvi with lifetime updates and it works fine for me...

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 5000 that I used on my Harley Ultra Classic. It did a good job with only a complaint about not being able to see the screen well in direct sunlight. I was always concerned about someone stealing it and I was always taking it off when I felt uncomfortable leaving it on. I could not hear the voice on the Garmin while riding. Now that I have my new 2012, I now use the Garmin Nuvi 5000 with a backup camera in my pickup and it does a great job.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
If I had it to do over I would not purchase the navi pack wing , I can't move the XM as I did with my 03 wing and the GPS on the new wing is a royal pain in the A-- compaired to my c350 Garmin.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Thinking of a Garmin for my truck. It could do double duty on my Wing (like I really need a second GPS...) and I'd get a mount for it for my RC51 too.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Thinking of a Garmin for my truck. It could do double duty on my Wing (like I really need a second GPS...) and I'd get a mount for it for my RC51 too.
Here is the Garmin Nuvi 5000 with a 5.2" screen in my truck with a windshield quick release suction-cup mount.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Me likey that one! Better go do some looking now.;)

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
If you get a regular GPS be sure to buy a "Glare Stomper" shade. It helps to reduce the glare on the screen. I have one and it works well....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.