Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else installed a standard garage remote control and useed the passenger PTT connection so the push to talk switch on the left handle bar actuates the remote (opens the garage door)? I am installing on my 06 this weekend. Just curious if there were any issues I should watch out for. did you hot wire the power as well? i think I will just leave the battery in they last a long time anyway.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
dan: there is another fellow here " BS " , for short, who is working on a remote that wires into his high beam circuit. I'm a garage mechanic but a newbie to the Goldwing so I can't help him on the bike end. Reading your description below: You are integrating a "standard " hand held garage door opener on your Wing and using the PTT lever to actuate the remote? Could you please elaborate on this ? Is this your own idea or a product to install ? Alot of folk here who are lucky enough to have garages I'm sure would be interested. Here is the link to the product " BS " is working with: http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=6649&categoryID=2594

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BS is using the "Flash to Pass' it is a very good unit very simple to install but expensive. By the way the instructions on their website are very simple. You just clip into the high beam hot wire and a ground.

I had a discussion with an engineer a Harley rider friend at work about that unit and he told me I could do it for the cost of a standard remote. I searched other forums and decided this is the best way to do it. It is kind of a hybrid of several methods, and I think the simplest; You know how these forums are they ran the gamut from sticking a remote to the windshield, putting it in the box on the left and just putting it on the key chain. I wanted a way to actuate the door without stopping and without taking my hands off the bars.
Find the plug for the passenger Push to talk (PTT) (on an 06) it is connector 30 under the seat, this is in series with the driver push to talk which means they both "make" when either is depressed. If you wish to use the PTT for the real purpose this will not affect the function but instead of plugging in you have to run the wires from the back side of the connector to keep the plug Open for the PTT switch.
Open the case on the remote solder a wire to each side of the push button. Then run those wires to the PTT (as described above) and connect one wire to each wire in the connector. It is a switch so no need to be concerned with polarity. There is no power on these wires. Put a "stick on" piece of velcro on the back of the remote, and on the rear inner fender out of the way.

Within range of the garage push the driver PTT the remote should open the door.
Another option is to hot wire the remote. remove the battery solder a wire to each side of the battery connection Red for the hot and Black or green for the ground. Find a hot wire to tap the red wire into and a ground wire (make sure it is a 12 Volt remote!! and the battery is out) this will mean you never have to replace the battery! I think I will do this in two phases the switch first then the hot wire. Knowing myself i will probably never do the hot wire part the batteries last a long time anyway.

I am waiting on an additional remote to arrive, I will be doing this as soon as it gets here.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
Dan: I anticipated your concept would take some soldering. That's some might fine soldering on those micro-switches. In the old days the switch contacts were huge. I once replaced a broken button on an old Genie remote with a door-bell glued to the face. Regarding hooking the remote transmitter power necessary to your bikes electrical system, many remotes use the Lithium photo battery. Common size is " CR2032 ". These are 3 volt batteries. Remotes from " Chamberlain ( Sears, Liftmaster ) use the 3 volt. Genie still uses a 12 volt battery, and some dinosaures use a 9 volt. Most of the 3 volts I 've seen last 6 + years with everyday usage. Do I smell a patent pending here ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use the 3 volt but you have to buck the voltage down with a resistor. I am not an electrical engineer but it is explained on another forum i'll see if I can find it and link it.
i ahd to search for a 12 V unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys I custom installed a homelink in my 1800 and can open my gate and both garage doors.
i can post pics if you like...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, here is a pic of what i custom installed.
This allows me to open any of 3 garage doors just like in your car.
I got tired of opening the compartment to retrieve my opener so I used a dremel and here it is.
Tell me what you think...

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
It is a thing of beauty!!!!!! I've programed a thousand of these for the customers of new garage openers. Now to the nuts and bolts. (1) I assume you bought the unit seperately, where and how much ? (2) The wiring into the bike circuitry ? For some reason I'm excited and I don't have a garage of my own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ordered it from Ebay...it came out of an Escalade and was tan.

It has two wires...orange and black. The orange is acc and black ground.
Under the pocket is the plug for a ipod or music player (black/red) and I t-tapped into the wires leaving the plug in-tact.

Then I used a dremel tool to cut the hole. I taped the area around so if I slipped it wouldn't mess up paint.
I took the faceplate off and painted it black, mounted the main unit behind the faring anf then pressed the faceplate together.

Then I programmed it to my gate and 2 garage doors and walla!

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
I like it. I'll store this info in a folder. This topic will come up again one day, as it has in the past. For this post I now elevate you to " Honorary Senior Status. " (Admins, please note the members status change.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks I'm honored to be here.

My background is I've owned a couple of custom car/home audio stores and I've had my own car in music videos.
I worked them for 23 years until I heard my 13 yr old daughter say she doesn't have a daddy since I'm not around.

I sold my stores and now work from home 4 days a week to spend more time with my family.

I bought my 2007 Goldwing GL1800 w/ nav a couple of weeks ago and now I don't ride my '05 FJR1300.

I enjoy this bike and plan on doing some nice long rides with my wife of 26 years.

So, that's about it. I never leave anything alone so I'm just starting on this bike. lol

I'm here to learn and also maybe help others with some cool (my .02) ideas.

Here's from another post...http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12994#post12994

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thats some nice work there. Looks like it came that way. You have got it going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had added a Homelink system to my 04 Trike But I did it on the right hand side and used the accessory wire to connect to so the opener will only work with the key.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts