Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my Goldwing for like, two weeks and already decided that I needed to do a mod. I needed a way to open and close my garage door. On my last bike, I cannibalized an ordinary garage door opener, installing it inside the headlight shell and strapping a nicely chromed button onto the handlebar. This time, I wanted to do better.

I was inspired by Wesexcellence's Feb 2010 posting in which he described using a Homelink transmitter to do the job. I visited my local "upull-it-yourself" junkyard and found what I was looking for in a junked Lexus of unknown vintage: A driver's side visor with what looked like a never-used Homelink. Cost: $10.

Next stop was to my local Harbor Freight store where I spent about $45 on their version of a Dremel tool and a set of bits for it. (Nothing like a motorcycle project as an excuse for buying a new power tool, right?) BTW, if you're decide to do this, hit their website for a 25% off coupon before you go.

Unlike Wesexcellence, THERE WAS NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH I WAS GOING TO ATTEMPT TO CARVE UP MY FAIRING. Furthermore, I have no idea to get to the area behind it and never having used a Dremel tool before, thought that if I scarred the finish on the fairing, I would kill myself. I decided on the lid of the left fairing pocket, figuring that if I messed that up, what could a replacement cost me? Besides it perfectly matched the color of the Homelink transmitter. I also knew that since there was a 12V socket inside the pocket, there must be 12V below and in the vicinity.

I carefully ripped open the visor and extracted the Homelink transmitter. It came out perfectly as a slim, flat module. Then, I removed the fairing pocket (easy- four of those little pluggy-clip thingys). I unscrewed the lid from the pocket so that I could work closely on it.

I wanted to make sure the transmitter really worked and could be programmed to work with my garage door before I got too far down the road on this project. So I removed the auto connector from it and replaced it with some 22 ga wire I had laying around. I found the 12v source feeding the socket on the bike and did a quick splice. Since positive and negative on the Homelink device weren't marked, I took a chance and guessed. I got it wrong the first time, but right the second time. Pressing one of the Homelink buttons made the little red LED light. I followed the programming instructions I found online and in no time, I had the garage door opening and closing.

I could see no way to take the Homelink module faceplate off so that I could trace its shape on the pocket cover and didn't want to risk breaking it trying. So I used a piece of paper, an Exacto knife and began carefully cutting a hole in the paper a little bit at a time until I had a hole that was exactly the same funky oval shape as the transmitter. Then, I quick trace of the hole in the paper onto the pocket cover with a sharpie and I was ready to cut plastic.

Making the hole was easy. I rough cut well inside the line and then switched to a 3/8" sanding drum to work the hole into the exact shape to accommodate the Homelink. I stopped sanding when I discovered that the Homelink transmitter would actually snap into the hole. I dabbed a bit of superglue on the back of the transmitter and snapped it into place one last time.

The power wire I used was so skinny that I was able to drill a tiny hole in the hinge, route the wire through it and then super glue the wire into the channel of the hinge. Once I reassembled the fairing pocket and lid, this resulted in the wire draping down the outside of the pocket exactly where it needed to go. I reconnected it to the 12v source and put the whole thing back together.

The only downside is that the left handlebar is perfectly between my line of sight and the Homelink transmitter, making it necessary that I find and press the button by feel when I'm in the driveway. No big deal. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very nicely done. Almost looks original. I took the cheap easy out. I used velcro and a spare door opener. I put it on the end of the same pocket you used. As I come around the corner of the cul-de-sac I pop the pocket door upen and push the button. Works every time.

I also found this device;

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Very nice job!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
mine isn't as cool as his but it works , i velcro it to the dash , works well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts