Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a Mo -Door motorcycle remote garage door opener and weather proof button and was wondering where others have placed theirs with out tearing the bike a part to do it.
Any suggestions, and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right now I drop my remote into the gas door. Easy to pop open when coming up the driveway and open the door to pull in without stopping. Not the best method but it's working for now. ( although I did make a `knob with a key in it that stays there to open the gas door)

I have read that some have used the " push to talk switch " for the CB radio to activate their remote. To me this would be an IDEAL situation because the switch is at your fingertips and you don't have to take your hand off of the bars to open the door.

But it does involve being able to take the switch apart and soldering wires and connecting them to a plug under the seat.

My problem with this now is when I put a meter across the plug to test it I am getting a slight amperage reading with the switch NOT being pressed. ( this would cause the battery to drain) So I am not sure if this actually will work properly.

So I am kinda in the same boat, looking for an easy to reach solution for the switch.

·
Premium Member
23,589 Posts
I'm in the garage door profession but it doesn't transfer to motorcycle remotes. I too have seen a Goldwing fellow wire a button to the existing remote contacts and mounted that weatherproof button somewhere through self-made hole in the cockpit area, having the remote concealed underneath the fairing somewhere.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
son in law suggested placing it along the front wall of the storage compartment near the latch with velcro. Quick simple and cheap but I'd like a more professional method if possible without tearing the bike a part.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I have mine just clipped to the ledge along the top edge of the dash. I lost one, so now it is reinforced with a bit of velcro.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
On my 2009 I keep it in the left fairing pocket. I don't have an issue pulling up to the house and opening it up and pushing the button.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I velcro mine to the inside left pocket. Cheap and easy. I have seen a switch that will open the garage door if you flip the high beams off and on quickly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Years ago, I read where folks were wiring it to the high beam switch. I like that because I don't use high beam very often. So drive up to the door hit high beam drive in, turn off the high beam and dismount.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Wire one of my garage door opener to the ptt switch on my 2006. I will never install a CB so that switch was easy to use.
There is a oem plug under the seat that is wired to the CB switch.

Can't post pics because I don't have that bike anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
on my 2006 VTX, I was able to wire the garage door opener to the high beams. It's very easy.....solder the button so it's always on. Solder a wire to each side of the battery contacts. attach the wires to the high beam wires. I used it for years without a hiccup. I was able to change the garage door opener and reconfigure the unit in my bike. On my 2019 Gold Wing, I put it in the right side pocket. That way it is away from everyone except me. I may hook it up to the high beams this coming summer.

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
I have a visor clip on mine, and then I just take it out of the truck and clip it to the underside of the dash panel. When I'm on a long ride, I just pack it away in my luggage, and then pull it out once I'm getting close to home. Not perfect but it works for me.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I have a visor clip on mine, and then I just take it out of the truck and clip it to the underside of the dash panel. When I'm on a long ride, I just pack it away in my luggage, and then pull it out once I'm getting close to home. Not perfect but it works for me.
That is also what I do, but after I lost one I added a bit of velcro to keep it from vibrating loose.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mine hangs on a pocket in the saddle bag organizer. I do have to get off the bike but no biggie.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
you could tie the opener to the horn button. Or just to the connections at the horn.

·
Super Moderator
11,063 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I keep mine in the front right pocket of my riding jacket. As I approach the house, reach up and hit the button through my coat. I have 3 different bikes that I ride, but use the same jacket. I can open the door no mater what bike I am on. I am not tied to just the one bike with the door opener. Works for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I say "OK Google, open garage door, left" (or right)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts