Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Guys, I Need Some Advice On My New To Me 1981 Gl1100. I Bought This In November Of 2009, 92,000 Miles, Kind Of Neglected By Previous Owner Who Admited That It Wanted To Run A "little Warm" The Last Time He Rode It. I Run It In My Garage And The Temp Went To Red Fairly Quick, I Removed Thermostat And Flushed Cooling System, Installed New Stat And Coolant, It Is Now Better But Still Seems To Overheat When Running In Garage. I Replaced The Fan Switch With Honda New Switch But The Fan Doesn't Run Unless The Switch Is Bypassed, Still Gets Hot With Fan Running Constantly. Seems To Get A Lot Of Pressure In Surge Tank, Possible Head Gaskets ? I Am Thinking Head Gaskets Or Possible Water Pump. No Water In Oil Or Oil In Water. Which Item Goes Out On These Things, The Water Pump Or The Head Gaskets. I Get A Little Smoke From The Left Side When First Starting Till It Warms Up A Bit, Looks Like Oil Smoke, Not Serious Tho. Anyone With Experience Similar To This?
Thanks,, Bill In Alaska

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do not think it is the water pump,for it to quit pumping the shaft or blades would have to be broken. I don't think the head gaskets are prone to leaking but it (can) happen.I have seen some H G on ebay for $25.00, also if you replace the H G do not forget the small o rings for the oil restricters

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
you have to ride it, all the early wings seem to heat up in a hurry when running but not moving but the temp guage should go bact to normal ( about halfway ) in a few minutes of having some air flow through the radiator

·
Registered
63 Posts
hello I have an 81 gw i have never had it run hot sitting stile untile I changed my coolant I let it sit for two or three hours and filled coolant up again and it never gets hot now even sitting. h g dont blow very often but i have heard of them blowing. It sounds like a blown h g though because of getting so much presure

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
while you have it idling is the fan comming on when the engine gets hot? if you have a fan blow some air at the radiator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.