Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stupid question, but I am old, fat, hard of hearing, and can't see that good. I was trying to inspect my fuses, took the side panel off, but could not get the cover for the fuse box to open. I have a problem with breaking things accidently when I try to pry things. I am sure I am the only person alive that cannot open the fuse box, but could you give me some inspiration?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi Jackpoet, What year bike do you have? if you have a problem breaking things by accident you could switch to breaking things on purpose. At least you feel good about accomplishing your goal.:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
752 Posts
I see your profile states that you have a 96, I have never worked on that year. perhaps one of our other members have and will pipe up soon. Good luck.
If all else fails get a bigger hammer.:cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jackpoet, What year bike do you have? if you have a problem breaking things by accident you could switch to breaking things on purpose. At least you feel good about accomplishing your goal.:D:D:D:D
Love that response. Need to feel good about something. LOL

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, wasn't thinking. Have a 96 Aspencade, triked out. I am just worried about prying too hard and breaking. Must be some way to get in there without prying at it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, Just noticed, I have become a Senior Member. Man how time flies. lol

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
I can't recall the fuse box on a 1500 and the manual I only find schematics and descriptions so. Check carefuly and see if you can find any lock tabs on the sides of the cover that may need to be released to remove the cover.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't recall the fuse box on a 1500 and the manual I only find schematics and descriptions so. Check carefuly and see if you can find any lock tabs on the sides of the cover that may need to be released to remove the cover.
Ok, will check again. my problem is bending over and seeing through my bi-focals etc. I watch the young get up and down, sit yoga style, get envious. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,938 Posts
I feel your pain, literally!
There should be release tabs at the top and/or bottom of the cover. The fuse cover on my 1500 is gone and the cover for the relays lives in the trunk!

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel your pain, literally!
There should be release tabs at the top and/or bottom of the cover. The fuse cover on my 1500 is gone and the cover for the relays lives in the trunk!

I hope that helps.
I appreciate that. I will look for tabs on top and bottom. If they break, I guess I can relax as your is working fine without a cover. Good to go. Thank You

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Ok Jack; this come from another vintage rider. I've had mine off a bunch of time and just took it off again to be sure I'm right.
Using your thumb and first finger get hold of the cover in the middle and squeeze, while rocking it side to side. This should get it off. Or you can take the seat off and get to the top of the cover that way.

As I said I'm a vintage rider. If you are going to tinker on the wing, What I found helps to see things better than through the bi-focals if a cheep pair of reading glass's from the drug store, helps avoid the sore neck thing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The fuse box cover is not as bad as the relay cover. The relay cover is tucked in just enough by the side bag tupperware to become a PITA to remove. I even unbolted the whole assembly and tried to gain clearance that way, didn't help much.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
The fuse box cover is not as bad as the relay cover. The relay cover is tucked in just enough by the side bag tupperware to become a PITA to remove. I even unbolted the whole assembly and tried to gain clearance that way, didn't help much.

To get to the relay box, it works best to loosen all the bolts for the left saddle bag that gives ou enough wiggle room to unbolt the box and pull it out. It also helps to take the seat of, just makes it a little easier.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Men, I do appreciate all the help. I will go out there and get with it. If I ever get it off, I don't figure to put it back. My problem with my bifocals is about even between sweat and getting the item in the right place on the bifocal. So maybe reading glasses is what I need. Will give that a shot. Thanks again all of you, I feel a little more confidant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts