Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't sell the stuff or know anyone personally who does, but once again Seafoam has impressed me.

Took Tatanka, my nu2me '85 1200 Aspencade, for a ride today on I-35, cruising up to 120mph in some sections (not admissable in court!) and by the time I was halfway to where I was going...AHHHH! The carbs are fully cleaned in one tank of gas with 2oz/gallon of Seafoam. He now has the classic Goldwing "PURR" at idle at 950rpm all the way up to high speed. I'll wait until I'm in MT in a few weeks to find out what top end is!

I use the stuff in every internal combustion engine I own, from time to time. It's to clean, not to be a steady diet. Now that his carbs are clean I'll do something an old mechanic told me about when I was about 16: His version involved adding deisel fuel to gas now and then to carbonize the internal surfaces of the firing chambers and valves; my version is to add 1oz/gallon of 2-cycle oil in the next tank after I do the Seafoam treatment, about every 10-15 tanks. Yeah, it'll smoke a little, but the old dude swore by the benefits of doing it. Anybody else ever hear of this? What do you do for fuel and its treatment?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have worked on many types of vehicles over the years, I personally do not believe in mechanic in a bottle.Also no type of additive is needed for a properly maintained and tuned motorcycle.This being said who among us can say they have a perfectly tuned and maintained Wing? If I was to add anything to my Wing, it would be fuel stabilizer if my Wing was going to sit for a while.

Keep in mind while you are cleaning your carbs at 120MPH, all this dirt and trash from your carbs does not disolve some of it gets broke loose and ends up in your combustion chamber. carbs are meant to be cleaned low speed on a work bench. :D

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
You may well be right.

I have seen this stuff work time and time again on motorcycles with dirty carbs. Many times on motorcycles where they would only run on half choke..... 1/2 Bottle of sea foam and motorcycle runs with out choke. I don't run it much in the summer but use it in the winter as a stablizer. Lawnmower, power washer, anything seasonal gets the treatment. In 40 years never have had a carb torn apart to rebuild it. If it has a motor on it, it has to run or have fuel stablizer in it and still run periodically or why have it.

Sea foam will not repair worn bearings or valves but it will dissolve sludge and help with unwanted deposits in the fuel system. Put some in your oil the day before an oil change and it will knock stuff loose in there too.

Snake oil? Could be but I believe in it. If the motor will not run... time for a carb job.... but I will continue to buy that by the gallon @ $50 per and it lasts me a year.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You may well be right.

I have seen this stuff work time and time again on motorcycles with dirty carbs. Many times on motorcycles where they would only run on half choke..... 1/2 Bottle of sea foam and motorcycle runs with out choke. I don't run it much in the summer but use it in the winter as a stablizer. Lawnmower, power washer, anything seasonal gets the treatment. In 40 years never have had a carb torn apart to rebuild it. If it has a motor on it, it has to run or have fuel stablizer in it and still run periodically or why have it.

Sea foam will not repair worn bearings or valves but it will dissolve sludge and help with unwanted deposits in the fuel system. Put some in your oil the day before an oil change and it will knock stuff loose in there too.

Snake oil? Could be but I believe in it. If the motor will not run... time for a carb job.... but I will continue to buy that by the gallon @ $50 per and it lasts me a year.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.
From a mechanical standpoint anything that gets washed out of the carb and into the motor is just plain risky and abusive to said motor. people do it all the time with great results this I do not disput. however the OP has a new to him bike that may have lots of carbon built up on top of the pistons which this chemical may break up and at 120 mph if a large enough piece of carbon comes off well I will just be glad not to be on that bike.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
From a mechanical standpoint anything that gets washed out of the carb and into the motor is just plain risky and abusive to said motor. people do it all the time with great results this I do not disput. however the OP has a new to him bike that may have lots of carbon built up on top of the pistons which this chemical may break up and at 120 mph if a large enough piece of carbon comes off well I will just be glad not to be on that bike.
I understand, I wish I had your skills, but I am not a motorcycle mechanic.... and a carb job on a 1500 is a $1,000 bill. I would roll the dice on that. The older the bike, the more likely too.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
What kn says has merit for sure. It only stands to reason what's in the internals be it carb or combustion chamber only has one way out and that's through the system. We all know that carbon is the building block of diamond and how hard they are. Abrasive particles no matter how small WILL leave a scar. We have to be sure in our minds when the trade-off point is when we use these products.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I never heard of Sea Foam killing an engine, but I have seen and heard of it improving the way an engine ran. Just a few days ago an X neighbor call about there old 750 Yamaha. Had it in the shop spent $500.00 and it still ran like crap. Wanted to know if I knew of another shop they could try. I told them to run some Sea Foam through. They called a couple of nights ago. All is well with the old 750. I doubt that it braking big chunks of stuff off at a time. Seen it work, and will probably keep using it.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I think using it has better odds that Russian Roulette. Especially when a carb rebuild is $1000. Roll the dice!

By the way, once I put something in my mouth, the same thing happens....it has to work its way through the system. Sometimes it sticks to my belly section and I could use some Human Sea Foam.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
knelson1969,

I respect your opinion on all things Goldwing mechanical, so just to clarify, the carbs WERE completely disassembled and cleaned on the bench as well as possible without a parts washer. The Seafoam was just to finish the job, especially jet apertures. I, too, do not believe in "Mechanic in a Bottle." Now that everything's cleaned out and carbs are synched, etc. just running good fuel is all it should take to maintain it, though I'll still add a few oz of Seafoam now and then. My next task is to locate non-oxygenated gas, tough to do in Minnesota as we have a corn ethanol plant on every corner!

What do you think about adding some oil to the gas from time to time? Was the old dude who told me to do this full of beans, or did he have a point?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Techron, Lucus, Seaform, Call it snake oil or or any other name, I have used them for years in all my vehicles including mowers, etc. Absolutely no fuel injection or carburetor problems!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I want to hi-jack you a bit here on the 120 mph. Now I am not saying that you didn't get to 120 mph but mine is finished at 110 mph and both are carby bikes. You must be getting a lot more power out of yours. The only other difference is I was two up at 110 mph. I just remember that as I was typing. Eric

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I want to hi-jack you a bit here on the 120 mph. Now I am not saying that you didn't get to 120 mph but mine is finished at 110 mph and both are carby bikes. You must be getting a lot more power out of yours. The only other difference is I was two up at 110 mph. I just remember that as I was typing. Eric
And was it Lady Vanessa on the back seat when you were doing 110mph.:confused:
I would have probably died the first time I stopped the bike after that.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I always have to stop and think about how to spell mechanic. I'm obviously not one. And I couldn't tell you if Seafoam comes in a bottle or a can. But I'm always interested in something that might extend the engine's life or lessen maintenance costs. Other than the carbon pass through issue, is there potential damage to the fuel injection system on a GL1800?

Thx, R

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
And was it Lady Vanessa on the back seat when you were doing 110mph.:confused:
I would have probably died the first time I stopped the bike after that.:rolleyes:
No it was with Kemeri while I was trying to keep up with Frosty on his 600rr. She probally weighs in at 125lbs. Eric

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
knelson1969,

I respect your opinion on all things Goldwing mechanical, so just to clarify, the carbs WERE completely disassembled and cleaned on the bench as well as possible without a parts washer. The Seafoam was just to finish the job, especially jet apertures. I, too, do not believe in "Mechanic in a Bottle." Now that everything's cleaned out and carbs are synched, etc. just running good fuel is all it should take to maintain it, though I'll still add a few oz of Seafoam now and then. My next task is to locate non-oxygenated gas, tough to do in Minnesota as we have a corn ethanol plant on every corner!

What do you think about adding some oil to the gas from time to time? Was the old dude who told me to do this full of beans, or did he have a point?
Sorry to hijack the Sea Foam thread... but here is a link to a website that tracks alcohol free gas. It will have a listing in your state:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

:)

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, Val and Larry. One of the gas stations they show is only about 10 miles away, in the St. Croix River valley, where I like to ride!

Now Hoon: All I can tell you is what the speedo said: "122" I have to do a speedo check with my wife driving her car along side at 2-3 different speeds, but I'm sure it's not 10mph off, and there was throttle left, not a lot but some. I was solo. I was surprised myself, not only that it was going that fast but that it only felt like 70-80 on a "regular" bike.

By the way, I've never had a speeding ticket in 41 years of driving! :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Did the speedo check this evening and at 80mph on my wife's car I showed 82 on my bike. For a more accurate measure, I'll need the Highway Patrol's help.:eek: Sorry Eric!

Oh, and it gets worse: My '85 1200 Aspencade (Tatanka) is only partially dressed. He's got his pants on (triangular side panels, trunk, and saddlebags) but no lower cowl on the front, just the faring, so he's not even aerodynamic yet! Quite the opposite. If we meet in Montana on the Hoon Tour you'll be able to see/ride for yourself.

I have become a true believer in carb synchronization. I bought a carb synch gauge set from Trike Lady a couple of months ago and synched Tatanka about a month ago. It's a 30 minute procedure at most and really makes a difference. I've replaced the O-rings in the bottom of the intake elbows since, so I plan to re-synchronize him after a friend uses the gauge set on his '86 1200 Interstate.

To paraphrase "Monty Python and the Holy Grail":
"How is it you know so much about carburation?"
"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, y'know.":D

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The question on the top speed was more in line with the thought that there maybe more to get out of my bike. Not that you didn't get 120 mph. I was thinking of getting my bike dyno tuned when I get back from the States. I just think I get what I get. Whether it is mpg or mph. If I can improve on them without too much trouble I may just do it. I do have a aftermarket exhaust on mine. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand, Eric. I'm quite sure that there is more to get out of both of our bikes without shop work.

I'm getting there with Tatanka. Perfect? Not yet. Just getting closer to it. I'm not even a speed guy, unless I'm alone and in the middle of nowhere. I simply want to see how much fun I, and from time to time my wife, can have with him and how efficiently powerful I can get him, stock.

After all, I still have the "free" '83 1100 to really jack with! I'm thinking LNG conversion (liquified natural gas). The US is up to our a** in the stuff, and it's an excellent, clean-burning fuel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts