Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I have an opportunity to buy a service manual (anyone here want to part with a Honda shop manual for a '83 Interstate?) I'll probably ask some pretty dumb questions. Here's today's stupid question....

How in the world does the fuel tank mount in place? I want to remove the tank to dump the old fuel and clean it out. I've only found one mount bolt under the seat and a strap that runs over the forward part of the tank. I see two tabs engaged in the forward part of the rear fender and a rubber bumper that's on a tang on the forward part of the tank, but haven't spotted any other mount bolts and it's in solid as a rock! Does the rear fender and tire/wheel need to be removed to take it out the back? I don't relish removing a lot of stuff that will gain me nothing. I already anticipate the answer will be a "doh!" moment.

If you do have a shop manual for the 1100's to sell I've included my contact info below.....

Thanks

Lynn Winter
(573) 788-2574
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
removing gas tank: I'm having a similar problem

You may want to try and clean it in place if possible. According to the shop manuals I have: yes, there is only the one bolt holding the tank on, however the hayes manual states that getting it out of the frame should be avoided if possible because of how involved the process is.

(might be easier on an '83)
remove:
dummy tank
dual seat, side panels
rear wheel
mudguard
probably fuel tap as well
and any other obstruction (tank is removed through the rear)

I will unfortunately be undertaking this process on my new/old '81 GL1100, if I have any luck I'll let you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts