Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was bad my 88 GL1500 just flat quit. I did a bunch of diagnosing and got it going only to die again. Knowing it was in the fuel cause everything else was still functioning. I tried blowing out the fuel filter. Even checked the Vac on the petcock assy. I was running out of answers so I had one of my buds bring out his trailer and haul me home. Being he's a Harley guy and my wife is a Harley girl. They concluded that the auto repair button must be next to the auto wave button. The ribbing was deserved. As this problem happen about 3000 miles ago and I kind of ignored it. Well today I tore into to it and I just kept going until I got to the tank and pulled the fuel pump assy. There is a plastic screen material on the suction side of the pump. And I looked in the tank and there was at least 4 to 6 oz. of powdery/sand, rust who knows what after 24 years and what it was doing was completely blocking off the fuel flow to the pump every time I climbed a hill or swerved it would raise this muck from the bottom and shut it down. Well of coarse the nearest Honda dealer had no fuel filter, and was an hour away. I said oh well went to Advanced Auto and bought a Mr. Gasket clear glass fuel filter with replaceable filters that are universal and very easy to change out when needed. I've used this filter for many years on a number of vehicles so why not. Plus I tore down cleaned assembled and test the vac petcock, still in good shape. The fuel I toke out I added Sea Foam and octane booster and filtered to fuel with coffee filters just to make sure. So I guess I should be good for another 24 years I hope. Just goes to show you can't dig to deep to find the problem. I searched this forum with the word fuel and came up with 132 postings and I read everyone of them just to get an idea of just how far I'd have to go to fix this. And I did it all for under $35.oo. I just want to thanked the 132 post and all the contributor for the input so I could GIT R DUN!!!

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Real nice, cp! When it comes to any fuel in anything "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"!:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Great diagnosis and repair. Happy riding.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Tell me what station you get your fuel at, I want to avoid it like the plague! :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Good job. Might be a winter project for me next winter to clean the tank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm not really particular where I go I try to stay away from ethanol, most of the time its out of state like the 3000 mile trip the wife and I just finished, plus the the fact is I have only owned this bike 2 years now. The original owner lived in south GA. This was a one owner bike, but even if you put your bike in for a major maintenance/ service that could cost well over 500.00 they still don't go into the tank. A fuel pump cost 359.00 average and that is the only reason anyone goes into a tank and that still doesn't say they clean the tank unless you are willing to pay for the extra hours at 77.00 per hour. I would be willing to bet anyone one with a bike old enough to be one it 3rd fuel filter definitely has a bunch of garbage in the tank and if its like mine 1988 or near to that. You might want to take a look in the tank before you loose the fuel pump from being back pressure strained cause the screen is 60% or more clogged up. I'm actually thinking of adding a second inline fuel filter to protect the carb bowls from filling with finer particulates and possibly getting to the pistons in the long run, which if I had a newer bike after 2000 and plan to keep it well cleaning the tank and installing a second filter would be on my list of thing to do. Thanks for the coo do's guy...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.