Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Aspencade SE-i with 46K on it. Lately once the bike warms up there is an overpowering odor of fuel. I've pulled all the covers (all of them) and can find no fuel leaks or seeps. Sniffing around the best I can say is the odor is strongest right above the air filter cover. The bike runs fine and exhibits no start or acceleration problems. There is no odor when the bike is cold.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Although it looked fine, replacing the fuel cap gasket helped quite a bit on this.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Sounds like you may have found most of the problem with the fuel cap gasket. I would also check the fuel lines where the squeeze type clips are. I have heard of them coming slightly loose but not enough for you to see a leak. You would smell the odor but not see the liquid leak. I would replace them with newer screw type clamps if it were mine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had an issue that I could smell raw gas when my bike was off. A complete carb rebuild fixed it - and the attached tubes and such were not the issue per the tech.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I first got my bike, I had this as well. After checking and studying the gas cap, I noticed it had an arrow on it. I aaumed it went towards the front when it is fully locked. But when I did this, it would kink the hose that is attached to the fuel cap. I pulled on the hose and and got enough slack in the hose, it no longer emits the odor.
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts