1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from a trip to vancouver island
Return trip was 1038 km
Did a fuel consumption check and according to my math got 62mpg
What are you guys getting just want to know if this is good or not.:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Must have been downhill with a tail-wind. I average about 40 miles per gallon two-up and I don't pull a trailer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You probably got 62 kilometers per gallon which converts to 38.5 miles per gallon.

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess that you got around 38 MPG.

·
Registered
76 Posts
right around 26mpg...

thats 70mph and with a side car...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep thats what I did Kilometers per gallon
So 38 mpg with trailer is not so bad I guess.
Thanx Guys:eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Return trip was 1038 km
What are you guys getting just want to know if this is good or not.:confused::confused:
i was going to say your math was wrong but i was beat to it , i get 38-40

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, Canadian (Imperial) gallons are 1.2 times bigger so it accounts for some of the economy. The other thing is what model Wing it is. I used to see high 50's Cdn with my '84 1200 at 65-70 mph (no trailer and two up but empty bags/trunk day trips) so it is possible if the speeds were even lower. Bike would have to be in super state of tune-up and conditions ideal though. Remember 45 mpg Cdn is only 37.5 mpg US, that's about where I'm at on my '09 at a cruising speed of 75 mph or just over 3k rpm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I rode my 1800 up from Va Bch to Mich pulling the trailer. It was mostly hyway at 70 to 80 mph with the cruise set. I really didn't pay attention to the fuel mileage but I got crap. I would say it was in the low 30s. Once I arrived I checked for leaks or other issues,, none. Now she is back to normal in the low 40s around town and some hyway. I still think these 1800 could use another gear for 3000+ rpm equals bad gas mileage for a GW. I could almost see the fuel needle move. I know I know there are ways to get good mileage not do 70-90mph but it is so fun....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Return trip was 1038 km
Is that an imeprial gallon or US gallon?

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
On the last trip I did on my 1200 wing two up. I got from 33mpg at 85mph. And 50mpg at 60 mph. Something to do with how fast you are going. Eric

·
Registered
145 Posts
Return trip was 1038 km

I've been riding gold wings since 1985. GL1200's, 1500's & 1800"s. So maybe it is just me. The "BEST" Milage I ever recall getting was 40 mph (once). I have consistantly always got between 35-37 mph. Riding two up, solo and or pulling a trailer. No matter where I have traveled. Like I said maybe it is just me, but I have had (5) Wings, (1) Venture & (1) V-65. Also, no matter how fast or slow I have riden I always consistantly averaged 57 miles per hour on long trips.
Since I'm in the mood to voice my opinion, solicited or not, the same with tires. on the GL1200's & 1500's biased tires I always averaged 17-19,000 miles. On the GL1800's radial usually 9-11,000. Now since I swiched to Avon Cobra's (second set) I have been getting 14,000 plus miles on them. What do I know, I've been riding for 38 plus years and it is what it is.........:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have to agree with ptwingmn on the mileage figures. I have had wings since 1980 and 34 to 39 mpg on all except for the 1100, which I was young and didn't check or care. Speed, solo, two up and pulling a trailer, cargo or camping, always stays in that range too.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
My average over 114,000 miles is probably 39mpg. Best was 44, worst was 34.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts