Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own 2 gl1800's. One is an 02, and the other is an 09. Both are level 1 bikes, with the 02 having 25K miles, and the 09 is currently at about 3K miles.
I am seeing 40 plus MPG on the 02 regardless of riding loaded with passenger, or not.
I cannot break intothe 40's with the 09 no matter what I do. The 02 also has quicker throttle response, and I am quite sure would eat the 09 in a roll-on. I don't buy the idea that the 09 isn't broken-in enough yet. I have reset the ecu, to no avail. I seem to have read where some have noticed much better fuel mileage with the newer bikes, but this sure hasn't been the case for me.
ANY IDEA'S??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice, 2 GL1800's!
My '10 gets a little over 40MPG on the highway, use cruise control etc. If I am being a bit more aggresive around town, 33 to 36MPG.
Rob

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I can't speak to the older 1800's since I came from a 1500, but my 09 consistantly gets in the 40's. On back roads taking my leasure time I've gotten 45+ on a couple of occasions. While on the highway I try to keep the RPM's at 3k or below. I think that equates to about 70mph. I don't know if there are any adjustments you can make to the fuel management system, perhaps someone with a shop manual can chime in.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First I want to remind you that your 02 is not giving you an accurate mileage read out. For every 100 miles you travel your speedo is clocking 104 miles, Honda didn't correct that until the 09 model. Also your speedo is reading about 5 MPH fast. So if you go 208 miles and take 5 gls. you think your getting 41.6 MPG but actually you have only gone 200 miles so 200 miles divided by 5 gls equals 40 MPG. You just lost 1.5 MPG
It's just the nature of the beast. I had an 02 and got 40 to 45 MPG depending on how and where I rode it, I now have an 08 and get the same as the 02. But some bikes just get better mileage than others. We used to ride with a guy when we all had 1500's and he always took at least 1/2 gallon more than us at a fill up. Some times when 5 or 6 of us all on 1800's go for a ride and fill up there is as much as 1/2/ gallon difference in the amount of fuel some take.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Very true Joe. I also find that the mpg and the range largely is dependant on how aggressive I ride; not necessarily how 'fast', but how 'spirited'. If I'm playing with the throttle alot, it's as bad or worse than a steady 75-80 on the freeway. I also get the best mileage when I'm rolling along at a leisurely pace (60-65 or 100-110 in our-speak) and gentle throttle adjustments, soft accelerations etc, then Bob's your Uncle. I've seen as high as 50 mpg CDN that way, or about 44 US. Since I've been experimenting with the regular fuel (I always burned 92 or better before) I see little if no change in performance (duh) and if anything, my mileage might even be a tad better. I have a fairly lenthy jaunt with the Mrs coming up next weekend with 90% on the open road long distance days. I'll post my findings on that one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2010, "base model" that I have now got over 10,000 miles on. I have averaged between 39 and 42 mpg, with the cruise on at about 75-80 mph, but got as low as 36 in a windstorm in south dakota recently. Didn't really see the mileage improve with the break in done, though, unless the break in isn't done yet.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
BILL832, I had a 98SE that I uaually got around 40 MPG. The wife and I were coming fromn Salt Lake City, Utah fighting a heavy headwind and pulling a Bushtec trailer, I got 25 MPH during that tank full.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2010 with almost 6000 miles. The worst has been 40 mpg, (heavy city traffic, and/or construction on freeway) and the best has been 45 (speed down around 55-60.) Usually runs around 41-43. Mileage seems to be almost indentical to my 1984 Aspencade.

·
Registered
402 Posts
42-43 mpg @ 70-75 mph is the norm for my '08. Got 47 once, but it was a leisurely trip where I averaged only about 60 mph. Got 45 MPG on Friday but was pretty much stickin' to the limit.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
mileage

I have an 04. My average mileage is about 39 mpg. I get 41ish at 65mph and less as I go faster and less in cold weather. My worst hiway mileage was 36mpg and it was at or below 35 degrees all day. In town I once got 46 but that was an experiemnt to see just how much I could get, beleive me no sensible person rides like that. The bike has 115,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2010 Basic Model mileage stated in previous post, is based on subtracting about 3% for an ambitious odometer. The speedometer seems to be spot on. (checked by timing between mile markers on the freeway, and portable radar reporters. Although they are less than actual speed as one gets close to them, as it is reading at an angle)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I'm averaging 44-46 on my2010.......Last tank of gas was 45.9 MPG....1200 miles on the bike........

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
OK, so I'v been doing quite a bit of highway/distance riding in the last week and at various speeds (none very legal I might add). I typically will get anywhere from 325 to 350 km (200-220 miles) per tank and take on about 19 litres of fuel. I'm also now burning 87 instead of paying the price of 92 premium (you have to love the word premium doncha). Two up and running fairly hard (120 kph/75mph) I ran two tanks at 50 and 52 mpg Canadian (41 and 43 US). Then, on the QEII 500 road-race circuit (local joke about Hwy2 and the traffic flow; really should have thanked the guy in the blue Lexus running blocker for me) coming home at 140kph+ (87mph) my milage dropped to 37 Cdn or 30 US. So yeah, speed kills mileage as well as people. If I could keep the road speed down to 60-65 mph, I'm sure 45 US mpg is very attainable, but I doubt I have that much self control.
One huge advantage to riding a Wing, is Leo's seldom pull us over to offer up one of those pay as you go coupons. I get the blip on the bubble-gum machine and the downward pointing finger (like hey buddy, back 'er down).

·
Registered
73 Posts
long trip milage

As I posted in recent trips blog, we just finished an 8 day trip.
Total distance was 4257 km and after calculations this translated into 48 mpg.
Thats riding 2 up with loaded rear and side bags.
There was a lot of riding at 70 mph in the US and 100-110 kmph in Canada.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2010 and ride all types of roads. I checked mileage, every fill-up for the first 3000-4000 miles. never got less than 42mpg. I quit watching it and now just ride, burn gas and kill bugs!

·
Registered
157 Posts
My cousin has a 06 and I have a 10 model. he is happy when he gets 39-40 mpg. I average 42-43 mpg unless hauling on the interstate.

I suggested for him to start using his cruise control. I use mine constant. his mileage went up to 41-42 mpg.

I presently have 5,700 miles on my bike he has 84,000 miles on his.

With a 6.6 gallon tank according to Honda I,m good. Not many folks ride till the light comes on. When my wife and are riding (just us) I stop every 150-175 miles any way. Just me I stop when I need fuel or see something to stop for.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't want to go Backward , but my 82 GL1100 wing gets 45 to 53 MPG ..Even with 2 people up , I will get over 45 :) I wonder why bikes just get Bigger and Bigger over the years ... Motorcycles should get more mileage than my car ..But that isn't always the case

1 - 20 of 21 Posts