Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel Mileage:
I live in Southern PA. I travel to Baltimore regularly. My 1983 GL1100 Interstate should make it there and back on one tank very easily. However the trip is approximately 40 mile one way. Usually I'm just above 1/4 tank when I get there and certainly need to refuel before I come home.

Idle Surge:
Upon starting the bike, it will usually hold idle for a few moments, however I'll get a surge in the form of a slow/eventual rise to 2000 rpm.. Then ultimately it won't sustain an idle and conk out on me.

Fouled Plugs:
I bought the bike used obviously. The previous owner a young 20 something fellow told me that its fouling plugs and has crappy gas mileage. Okay, so during the course of running the bike (now on new plugs), I notice a very rich mixture smell. Revving up the bike produces sometimes a black, sometimes a white smoke.

I get about 100 miles or just a tad better before I have to take out the plugs (otherwise in city driving it will sputter and hesitate and vapor lock in the air compartment) and clean them with a dremel like tool.

I'm just looking for ideas here....

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF bigray122, it sounds like your carbs need to be cleaned or rebuilt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcoming. I'm slated to take it in the show on Monday. Hopefully it won't cost to much. Also, any ideas where to get a R/S saddlebag lid for under a gazillion dollars. I'm not paying $150 for a frickin lid. I'll make one out of wood with roofing shingles first...:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts