Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I could just cut to the chase and PM Trike Lady on this, but we're all here to learn so.........

'85 1200 Aspencade; faring electronics all appear to work; fuel tank is full, fuel gauge in dash shows 1 bar, almost empty; pulled and cleaned sensor plug on top of tank and believe it's tight and clean; to remove the fuel level sensor I'm instructed to use "Honda special tool (Fuel Gauge Wrench, Honda part No. 07920-6710001.) Ain't got me one!

Oh, and the low fuel light came on earlier and went away when I added gas. Believe the fuel level sensor float is stuck at a low level and I need to free it or replace the unit. Question: What can I use to get the %%$&&* sensor out of the top of the tank without buggering it up. Second question: Where's the best place to get a replacement unit at a fair price? Thank you!:)

P.S. I tried the small hammer/big flat screwdriver approach, to knock the screw-in plate loose using its vertical tangs. The sucker is in there pretty good! 27 years since installed. Better soak it with penetrant in preparation for this task.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PB Blaster, huh? Never heard of it.

But the main question is how to get the dang sensor unit out of the fuel tank without the Honda tool and without creating a problem? I do not have access to metal fab equipment, so I can't make a tool to do it (what? A "spanner"?)

By the way, thank you Val!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tatanka the spanner wrench is what is called for to remove just about any fuel sending unit on just about any vehicle. I am willing to bet that you wont find one in any Honda mechanics tool box as they and I use a blunt chisel and hammer also. soak it down with the penatrating oil of your choice PB Blaster as mentioned is a great choice.
before you try and remove it with a flat punch and hammer tap down on the retaining ring all the way around the ring with the lube puddling on the ring, the tapping action will help get the lube where it needs to go. are you buying a whole assembly? where you get a new ring? this ring should have many tabs to choose from to tap on with your blunt chisel and hammer. Once the ring has soaked for a while try tapping on them in a criss cross pattern untill it comes loose if it does not budge and the tabs are getting bent before things get too bad get a second person with another hammer and chisel to tap on an opposite tab while you work the other if it doesnt come off soak it longer. BTW if you havent allready, clean the ring area and the top of the tank really good with shop air and a brush to get anything that may end up in the tank once this ring is removed.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gee, wonder why I belong to this Forum! Well done knelson1969! I'd hoped for easier, but expected exactly what you said.

Good thing I'm running a temporary NAPA fuel filter to catch stuff as it breaks loose in the tank, including the sensor unit. I have a long history of breaking mechanical things with excessive force, so I'm cautious about getting aggressive with them. In this case, I'll have to "Bison-up" and put some more force to it, after cleaning per your instructions! ;) Only I'll use a 3/4" square x 12" long piece of white oak on those tangs. Same ft/lbs of force, and no damage; well, at least until I bury the hammer into the fuel tank because it didn't work!

Remember the words of the Wise Hoon: "If all else fails, use a hammer."

·
Registered
674 Posts
Gee, wonder why I belong to this Forum! Well done knelson1969! I'd hoped for easier, but expected exactly what you said.

Good thing I'm running a temporary NAPA fuel filter to catch stuff as it breaks loose in the tank, including the sensor unit. I have a long history of breaking mechanical things with excessive force, so I'm cautious about getting aggressive with them. In this case, I'll have to "Bison-up" and put some more force to it, after cleaning per your instructions! ;) Only I'll use a 3/4" square x 12" long piece of white oak on those tangs. Same ft/lbs of force, and no damage; well, at least until I bury the hammer into the fuel tank because it didn't work!

Remember the words of the Wise Hoon: "If all else fails, use a hammer."
I hope it comes off without too much fuss, if not take some pictures of the hammr sticking out of the tank for us. :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Thank you Tatanka,
On my ride to Philip Island my gas gauge went west. I had no reading at all and I remembered you fixing yours up.
I am not going to get technical but I didn't have Honda Part No. 07920-6710001 but I did have part No. (hammer and steel rod). I did the same as you. Pulled the gas floot unit out. Then took the plate off the inside and pushed the contact in to give a better contact. Returned it to the tank. And yes it works.
Eric

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice save, Eric!:cool: Excuse me: "Good on ya!"

Sometimes using a hammer IS the best solution!

And, let's credit the real source of the solution: knelson1969! Hope he checks in soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts