Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike knocks when not warmed up. What fuel is recommended for an '85 Aspencade
Thanks
PS Book recommends regular but that was 27 years ago when fuel may have had a different octane level

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
try mid-grade and see if the knock goes away. it will cost moreto fill up the tank but it won't harm the motor. but usually engine knock from detonation happens when there is a load on the motor are you sure you don't have a lifter ( s ) tick

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I agree with Doc, to which I'll add: Try about 1oz./gallon of SeaFoam in your next tank and see how it's doing about halfway through the tank. No downside, as it cleans carbs/intakes very well.

Have your carbs been synchronized within memory? It made quite a difference on my '85 GL1200. You agree to pay the round-trip postage and I'll send you the 4-carb synchronization gauge set I bought from Trike Lady (who IS Nichola Tesla's great-grandaughter). I only need to use it every 2-3 months, and that's just to make sure my bike is faster AND more efficient than some Hoon with the same bike, an Aussie who visits the US from time to time with his MUCH better half.:p Rather see it used than just sitting in my shop. This offer applies to anyone who would like to borrow it; it's a good tool (Thanks, Val!) Just pay postage roundtrip, and you can have it for the day/few days that you need it. It's just for us carburated folks.

Enjoy your classic Wing!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
That's a very generous offer Tatanka. Joe, as far as my memory serves, all regular fuels carried an 87 rating. Pretty sure you wouuld know if you had a stuck lifter but like detdr says, check it out. I'd definitely clean and re-sync the carbs anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's a very generous offer Tatanka. Joe, as far as my memory serves, all regular fuels carried an 87 rating. Pretty sure you wouuld know if you had a stuck lifter but like detdr says, check it out. I'd definitely clean and re-sync the carbs anyway.

Sorry,but my memory "in the united states" recalls....all the "regular" fuels were 89 octane several years ago and 93 octane for premium,NO mid-grade at all.In the 70's our local small town full service ENCO (tiger in your tank)station had 98 and 103 octane.I remember when "87" started showing up at the pumps and many of older cars wouldn't hardly run on the stuff.He may have a lifter problem,and Sea Foam does wonders,and his crabs probably DO need sync'd...IMO.BUT,if he fills the tank with BP "Ultimate Silver 93 octane,i bet his 85 1200 will run like a striped ass'd ape.My 84 1200 loves the stuff.Different than night and day.

·
Banned
95 Posts
would tossing a can of octane booster in the tank produce the same results? I now have to think about this fuel upgrade
also would them not liking 87 cause them to not get the mpg like there supposed to 40-50 mpg

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I agree with Doc, to which I'll add: Try about 1oz./gallon of SeaFoam in your next tank and see how it's doing about halfway through the tank. No downside, as it cleans carbs/intakes very well.

Have your carbs been synchronized within memory? It made quite a difference on my '85 GL1200. You agree to pay the round-trip postage and I'll send you the 4-carb synchronization gauge set I bought from Trike Lady (who IS Nichola Tesla's great-grandaughter). I only need to use it every 2-3 months, and that's just to make sure my bike is faster AND more efficient than some Hoon with the same bike, an Aussie who visits the US from time to time with his MUCH better half.:p Rather see it used than just sitting in my shop. This offer applies to anyone who would like to borrow it; it's a good tool (Thanks, Val!) Just pay postage roundtrip, and you can have it for the day/few days that you need it. It's just for us carburated folks.

Enjoy your classic Wing!
I think you should ship your bike out here for a few weeks and let me judge weather a USA pampered 1200 Tatanka has the goods to keep up.:D You may need a new screen because it can get windy down here.:eek: Would have loved to have caught up with you.:( Maybe sometime in the future. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Charlaine,
I'd try the SeaFoam first. If your Wing is running OK, when you're not dodging retreads:eek:, then just use 4-6 oz. for a couple of tanks and see how she's operating. There is no downside; it cleans the carbs/intakes/valves just fine.

Eric the Hoon,
I would ship Tatanka over to you, but I don't want you to be hurt!:D We WILL meet up Eric, here, there, or There.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Buck, I think that's when the tetra-ethyl lead was removed (?) from all pump fuels. Not so much as the supposed drop in octane rating as much as the minute amoount of lead made the old engines run better somehow. Just put out too many hydrocarbons etc in the exhaust. There are still non-lead additives that you can buy for the old school engines like in muscle cars and old bikes. Usually my long term memory is better than the short stuff, but darned if I can even remember the ratings on our Canadian pumps when things all changed. Octane ratings are still a bit funky and the Europeans use a different scale than we do, although very often it's the same darn gas.:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.