Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are fuel filters really neccessary today?
The 1800's do not have them! Many other bikes do not have them anymore! (They do have a "screen" but, no filter)
With unleaded fuel, dirty gas seems to be a thing of the past!
All service stations were made to change their tanks within the past few years. I believe the replacements were of non-metalic material, so no more corrosion there!
Maybe the older bikes w/metal gas tanks do still need the filters?
What say you

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if i had fuel injection like you i would be wondering why my bike doesn't have a fuel filter. fuel injectors get chewed up by dirty gas, carbs just get plugged up

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Is there still dirty gas out there:confused:
Don't know about the gas Dawg, but for sure the tanks, piping, & pumps have some.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
OK-Don't all the pumps have filters on them? But, how do we know the station operators change those filters when scheduled???
I will allow you to ponder your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Just look at the filters on the bikes that have them, they still get dirty, so I would say they are needed. The fuel goes through many miles of pipe lines and storage facilities and hoses before it reaches your tank, I'm sure all of these are not spotless

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just look at the filters on the bikes that have them, they still get dirty, so I would say they are needed. The fuel goes through many miles of pipe lines and storage facilities and hoses before it reaches your tank, I'm sure all of these are not spotless
Very good point. So now I wonder why manufacturers have eliminated good fuel filters on many bikes?

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Very good point. So now I wonder why manufacturers have eliminated good fuel filters on many bikes?
Cost Containment.......

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts

Service on contaminant fouled fuel systems generates money through the dealer network.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts