Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I rode my bike to work yesterday and on the way home, while climbing a hill, my bike just didn't have the throttle response it should have. I think I need to replace the fuel filter and probably new plugs too. Can someone walk me through the fuel filter replacement, since I've never done one before? What do i need to remove to get to it? And, is there a trick to getting it out of its holder? It seems like it sits in there very tightly. Sorry for the noob questions, but I'd really like to get my bike running right, and save some money by doing this work myself. I work nights, so I'm out the door soon. I'll check in here when I get home in the morning. Thanks all in advance, you have always been helpful in the past. Ride safe all.

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
The fuel filter is to the right when you open the gas door.
You remove the seat and the top shelter, loosen the clamps on both ends and replace.
Have rags present when doing the process to absorb spilled fuel.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Hope this helps you out.
1. remove the seat (remove the four bolts in the passenger hand grips.
2. remover the two acorn nuts at the back end of the radio panel that were covered by the front of the seat.
3. remove the right and left fairing pockets.
4. Remove the plastic gussets that are attached to the radio panel that are around the fork tunnel.
5. Open the gas door, in side at the sides on each side is a plastic lever swing it forward.
Note if you have a nice big soft towel get it handy.
Now lift the radio panel off, place the towel between the radio and the plastic of the left side and left it hang there. Or you can disconnect all the plugs and remove it completely.
6. Now you can replace the filter.
NOTE. Look at the input and output tubes feel for a little ridge running the length of the tubes. If it's there used some real fine grit sand paper and remove the edge. Install filter and reverse the steps

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
Hey all, I rode my bike to work yesterday and on the way home, while climbing a hill, my bike just didn't have the throttle response it should have. I think I need to replace the fuel filter and probably new plugs too. Can someone walk me through the fuel filter replacement, since I've never done one before? What do i need to remove to get to it? And, is there a trick to getting it out of its holder? It seems like it sits in there very tightly. Sorry for the noob questions, but I'd really like to get my bike running right, and save some money by doing this work myself. I work nights, so I'm out the door soon. I'll check in here when I get home in the morning. Thanks all in advance, you have always been helpful in the past. Ride safe all.
well chris i don't think this is a noob question. i have had my 1500 wing since '08 and my fuel filter hasn't been changed nor did i kno how to do it until today. my plan is to leave the fuel filter for next years mantinance. unless it becomes clogged the fuel filter will get changed along with the air filter and anyother filter under there next spring

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
well chris i don't think this is a noob question. i have had my 1500 wing since '08 and my fuel filter hasn't been changed nor did i kno how to do it until today. my plan is to leave the fuel filter for next years mantinance. unless it becomes clogged the fuel filter will get changed along with the air filter and anyother filter under there next spring
Next spring bring it out here for the Maintainence Day I host in my shop and we'll give you a hand or 2 or 3 or 4 and get that project done real quick. Might even want o hang around for Steak Night afterwards.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
it would be great to ride out for the work shop ron but it would be time consuming nd expensive for me having to get a hotel / motel every nite

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Come on up.
The conditions are that you bring, the filters and fluids you want to changed.
Lunch is pot luck, single guys usually bring chip or a 6 pack of pop to share.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Ron, thank you for the great directions. I won't be able to get to the filter and plugs until this weekend. I rode my Wing yesterday day too, still the same performance wise, but she got me home!. I'm going to ride in to work this afternoon, but for the rest of the week I think I'll ride my Valkyrie! :)....or maybe my KLR :) Thanks again all for not making me feel like noob. Time for some sleep, last nights shift was a 12 hour ordeal. I'll look in again this afternoon before I leave. Have a good day all. Ride safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts