Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing out fuel filter and had found a previous thread with recommended OReilly part WIX 33003. Bought part however it is much larger than OEM. Is this the correct part? Doesn't look like it will fit in the same space.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
As Eric says, use a hammer! :D

(Just kidding. :eek:)

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
DanB,
If I remember right other than OEM you have to take the rubber out to fit another filter.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changed out fuel filter however no change in performance as it still bogs down at 2800 rpm and won't get over 60 mph. Doc said I should drain crank case breather tubes which I will do in a bit. Cantankerous said to check vacuum lines which appears to be a major task to access. I'm not a skilled mechanic but will try a few things if anyone can coach me thru it. I will say I've also added a can of seafoam and changed fuel to non-ethanol.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Have you changed the air filter, or at least looked at it?

I know it's a PITA to get to, but it might be plugged up, possibly with critters.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you changed the air filter, or at least looked at it?

I know it's a PITA to get to, but it might be plugged up, possibly with critters.
Haven't changed however had carbs rebuilt a year ago and mechanic said then it looked good as previous owner changed at 25k and now has 32k. Maybe things changed with that in the last 7k.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Did this problem happen suddenly, or was gradual?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Well that should eliminate the filters. When it 'bogs down' have you tried operating the choke to see if it changes?

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that should eliminate the filters. When it 'bogs down' have you tried operating the choke to see if it changes?
No, but I will try this and let you know what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drained the black goop out of the crank case breather tubes and took for a test ride. No change and when i engaged to full choke it made no change either.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
It will help diagnose where the problem might be. At least tell us if it a problem with fuel delivery.

Oops, a little late. :eek:

No change at all with the choke pushed all the way down?

What does the exhaust smell like?

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It will help diagnose where the problem might be. At least tell us if it a problem with fuel delivery.

Oops, a little late. :eek:

No change at all with the choke pushed all the way down?

What does the exhaust smell like?
No change using full choke. I've had the flu so my nose isn't doing real well with smell. But I do notice that it smokes allot more than usual when starting cold with choke. It starts fine and runs great right up to about 60-65 mph and then starts bogging down. Not sure this is significant but just before this condition started I noticed one morning when starting, fuel, lots of it, leaking on driveway while running. Turned bike off and following day, bike started fine and has not leaked fuel since. When accelerating I can feel the engine pulling great right up to about 2800-3000 rpm and hits a flat spot. I can give it more gas but only bogs down. I can maintain a constant speed of 60-65 mph unless I start going up a grade.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
It sounds like you have a float stuck in one of the carburetors, or there is something else going on with it.
Full choke should make a big difference, when the engine is warmed up especially.

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Dan,

PM Sent

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Can't help much with the fuel over flow, But I do know mice can fill the air filter box with nesting material in a couple of days.:mad:

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Dan,

When I changed the fuel pump on my 1500 there was a lot of rust/debris in the tank & on the fuel pump screen/filter.

If you look at the breakdown on the schematic I sent to you you will see how the pump has a screen around it. You may have to pull the fuel pump assy. out of the tank. Just be careful that you don't break any connections, wires or gasket. In addition DO NOT leave the pump assy out of fuel for long so that nothing dries out too much.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for all your help. Most likely will take to shop for repair however what's involved in getting to air filter?

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Thanks guys for all your help. Most likely will take to shop for repair however what's involved in getting to air filter?
It really isn't terrible Dan. If you want to give me call we can discuss it.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
The air filter isn't terrible to get to on the 1500. Give Fossil a call if he's not around you got my number.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts