Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not quite ready to ride so I decided to fix a bunch of things on the Green Wing. I discovered the only thing worse than fixing jury riggs from prior "Mechanics" (BUTCHERS) is following one with power tools. After removing all the stripped screws and replaceing them, I found the following:
Lights wired to the wrong circuit
Splices useing wire caps and wire not the proper color code.
Splices insulated with friction tape. (No not electrical tape) instead of solder and heat shrink.
Oil drain plug replaced with a PIPE PLUG.
And- I doubt if there has never been a torque wrench used on the bike. Lots of bolts showing signs of puurly fitting wrenches. Probably SAE. The above taking about 62 hours and a lot money.
Now- my screw up. NEVER carry a can of brake fluid in the trunk or saddle bags. It will eat up parts. A lot of work to glass in the damage.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,266 Posts
I hear you lonewolftx. And much as I hate to admit it, I've been guilty of some of it myself. DIY'ers have a multitude of quick patch ideas, that migt work for a while, but never last long. I think what often happens is a rush to get the job done and try it out. In the long run, it takes alot longer than just doig it right from the onset. Sorry to hear about your brake fliud mess, that stuff is justwicked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago a guy came in the shop and ask if we could fix a bike that wouldnt start. I said "Probably. Where is it?" He showed it to me in the back of his pickup and the carbs, ignition and a few other systems were torn apart. When he ask what would it cost I told him about $100.00 to put it back together so I could find out what is wrong. (1970s money) When I finally got to the problem it was a cloged fuel strainer. About $25.00 in labor and $5.00 in parts.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,854 Posts
Sounds like you had quite a project on your hands. I guess the only saving grace is when it's done you will have great satisfaction. Hope you feel better fast and get back out there to ride.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,775 Posts
I found the following:
Lights wired to the wrong circuit
Splices useing wire caps and wire not the proper color code.
Splices insulated with friction tape. (No not electrical tape) instead of solder and heat shrink.
Oil drain plug replaced with a PIPE PLUG.
And- I doubt if there has never been a torque wrench used on the bike. Lots of bolts showing signs of poorly fitting wrenches. Probably SAE. The above taking about 62 hours and a lot money.

I take it you have little appreciation for the ingenuity of the previous owner.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,812 Posts
I feel your pain, my bike has had poor treatment also, one of the worst being new pads on a worn out rotor for the back brake.
Brake fluid, is one of the best paint strippers I have found! Only, like you, I found out the hard way. :(
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top