Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 1987 GOLDWING ASPENCADE GL 1200. I BOUGHT IT ON E-BAY. I LIVE IN BROWARD COUNTY FLORIDA ON THE COUNTY LINE RIGHT BEFORE MIAMI. THE BIKE WAS IN TALLAHASSEE, AND IT WAS SAID TO HAVE JUST BEEN COMPLETELY OVER-HAULED. INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING, NEW VALVES, GUIDES, AND ECT. TIMING BELTS,FRONT AND REAR SEALS, NEW GASKETS COMPLETE. NEW SEALED BATTERY, NEW BRAKES FRONT AND REAR. NEW TIRES, CLUTCH, CARBS REBUILT,AND MORE. WENT UP AND GOT THE BIKE AND RODE HER HOME. BIKE RAN GREAT. NEEDS SOME COSMETIC WORK, SOME BROKEN PLASTIC PIECES, AROUND THE C.B. RADIO,AND THE LEFT SIDE COMPARTMENT. I NOTICED A SMALL LEAK UNDER THE BIKE ON THE RIGHT SDE. IT IS LEAKING FROM THE HOSE THAT I TRACED UP TO THE CLUTCH. I HAD TO ADD FLUID A COUPLE TIMES, AND WAS TOLD HOW TO BLEED THE LINE BY CRIMPING THE HOSE. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REPLACE THE HOSE BY MYSELF, AND IT IS KILLING ME, AND MY SPIRIT!!. RIGHT NOW I AM AT MY BREAKING POINT. SO FAR I HAVE THE SIDE COVERS OFF, I HAVE THE fake gas tank removed, i have the line dissconnected at the bottom, and at the top. have taken off all the ties and clamps i can find, but cannot get the hose off. IT SEEMS LIKE I WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE FAIRING APART. IS THAT THE WAY I HAVE TO DO THIS? I HAVE MADE MYSELF MORE PROBLEMS BY BREAKAGE GETTING THIS FAR. THE PIECE AT THE FRONT OF THE SEAT THAT ATTACHES TO THE FRAME: TORE OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE SEAT. LOOKS LIKE IT HAD BEEN REPAIRED BEFORE. THE PLASTIC ON THE RIGHT SIDE WAS CRACKED,NOW IS BROKEN THE REST OF THE WAY. IS THERE ANYONE THAT HAS DONE THIS JOB BEFORE ?AND IS THERE ANY SHORT CUTS?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im Not Sure Where The Line Is Your Talking About But I Have Put New Timing Belts., An Thermostates, Ive Found That I Save A Lot Of Time By Getting The Fairing Out Of The Way If Its Got Anything To Do Around The Fairing .if Your Working Around Raditor Take It Off That Way If A Wrench Or Something Slips You Dont Wreck Something Else.there Is No Cheap Part In It.if You Dont Have A Repair Manial Get One They Tell You Alot An Save Time. When Someone Tells You How To Do It Most Times Theres Some Little Thing They Dont Tell You That Saves You A Head Ache. Sorry About Spelling. Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go to goldwingdocs.com and download the manual for your model.​
If that don't work it may be on saunders site. I think it is .
Good luck and be patient with your new toy . It will reward you with many hours of riding pleasure soon as the little bugs are worked out.

And a picture post is sometime helpful when the location of parts is not obvious , ie left cyl head , right exaust , or maby front left caliper is easier to picture than a hose , since they go everywhere on the bike. and run up down left to right . Lots of help here , but it is helpful and necessary to know the exact part.:D

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
OKAY LANCE, calm down take a deep breath & relax. The downside of these beautiful machines is alot has to come off to make some of the repairs. Like Git said downlaod a manual. Even if it isn't a 100% accurate there are still some good tips to prevent "Breakage". This link may help.
http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/Downloads.htm

Now I'll share a personal experiance. I had a headlight switch short out on my 1500. I bought a new one (that was the easy part) & got my Clymers manual out & tore into it. Some 8 or so hours later had it done. I've attached the pics to this post. The one of the complete bike is the after. So as I said before relax the one thing I found out from my repair is I just kept going with teardown there were no apparent shortcuts. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi lance. your doing way to much work on this. cut the old line off the m/c an replace with a flexible stainless steel line. measure the length from master cyl to clutch lifter, add a couple of inches, make sure you have 10mm banjo fittings on both ends. bleed the hose from the bottom to the top for best effect. we've done this many times an is not hard. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts