Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an '84 Aspencade mostly disassembled that has been sitting up for a few years. I am in the process of trying to put the bike back together, but have run into a snag. I tried to get the engine to turn over, but it seems to be locked up. Any Ideas ???:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
could be a little rust around the rings pour a little desiel into spark plug holes and let set for a few days then try to turn over it somtimes works

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can pour a little Seafoam in each cyn and let it set for awhile also. Wonderful stuff that Seafoam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's been around for a long time. I buy mine at Walmart. It saved the carbs on my Yamaha. It can be used as a fuel additive and crankcase cleaner. It comes in a red and white can. Read the can for instructions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Old/stored/gummy/tough/stuck/frustrating/etc.

Oldsters.....(wait a minute, I AM one now) swear by Marvel Mystery oil for unsticking rings and curing oil burning. Let it soak for a long time. I did it once on a 750 and I hoisted the fork so cylinders were vertical, so MMO penetrated. Oil burning was then intermittent, not constant. Tough to do on a GW. I had not heard of Sea Foam until I saw it recommended on this forum, and I did find it.
I am also screwing with an old GW that was left sitting, see my new post. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like good advice given, I was going to say use "Moovit" to free up the engine which is what the mechanics use but seafoam and diesel works just as well too.
I've also squirted WD-40 into the spark plug holes if the heads were on.The trick is to let it sit for a day or two to work its magic.Heat helps too but carefully,the metal expands loosening the rings because they get a set to them against the cylinder walls from sitting so long.

-Robert-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stuck motors

I myself use PB BLASTER, Its has a great wicking ability. I am about to go down in my garage and add a little bit of motor oil to the Pb that's been soaking for 2 days then later tonight I'll turn the motor over.
I've been a motorcycle mechanic since 1969, A little heat is also beneficial. I will never force it hard just give it enough time for every thing to do its job how ever long it takes. A tip I got from my gunsmith/farmer decades ago for stuck rings when the motor smokes is to let it soak with Hoppes #9 gun barrel cleaner to dissolve carbon in the rings and piston lands after a motor has sat for a while. I've had success in the past doing this.
Patients is a verchue. That some of my 2 cents but I'm sure it's not the only way. Head

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All Good Advice Guys, I did add the WD-40 to the cylinders through the spark plug holes, and I am letting it sit for a week or two, then add more.
Thanks for all of the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.