Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the causes of front wheel wobble at low speeds. Can a loose steering column (bearings ) cause this

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
yes, steering head bearings, front tire balance, wheel bearings, and lack of a front fork brace like a super brace.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
apparently all or most of the 1800's have this wobble. my 04 does. it occurrs between 42-44 mph. there is no definite or guaranteed fix that i can see. you can fix all of the above mentioned by warwgn and it still might not stop the wobble. honda says to just hold onto the handlebars during the wobble. actually, thats what I do. I'm not going to spend that much money to maybe fix a small wobble for several seconds. I'll just live with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,332 Posts
My '83 wobbles to let me know she needs a new rear tire. Give her what she wants and the wobble stops.
My 2010 has a little wobble on deceleration when the tires are nearing life expectancy. Nothing I notice unless I let my hands off the bars. New tires and it's gone. I've got 17,000 on this set and it is there but not an issue. Mine is still all stock, one day if I hit the lottery I'll do the Traxxion upgrades as I've heard they do make the ride nicer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Ironhorse 54. i have two goldwings 2010 and 2012 models, are you saying there is no fix. something must have changed, they didn't wobble when they where new. what does honda say about it. Why i asked about the steering bearings is because in trying to eliminate the problem i transfered the whole front fork from the 2010 to the 2012 (less brake units of course) and it still wobbled, which made me conclude it must be from the steering column ( bearings). however in the service manual the stearing column bearings are not listed as a cause of wobbling.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Not unless they are really shot. Sounds like tire maybe.

·
Premium Member
8,512 Posts
Not unless they are really shot. Sounds like tire maybe.

+1 When the tires are worn they can become "cupped" as folks call it. I call it "shouldered" since that's actually what it looks like to my eyes. So the tire is usually the cause of the wobble, as it bounces from shoulder to shoulder, left, right, left.... Loose/worn steering bearings (and/or worn wheel bearings and fork bushings) amplifies the sensation.

·
Premium Member
23,734 Posts
Front tire wear gives me the wobble. I'm wobble free for about 15,000 miles and then it slowly creeps in. Look and feel the way the front tire wears. It's full of peaks and valleys. On an 1800, if you have a brand new tire on it and you have a deceleration wobble with your hands off the grips, you have a front end problem.

·
Registered
294 Posts
On my 1500 it was the tires. Both front and rear were near the end of their life. I have a super brace, which I believes masks the issue for a while, but once the front tire is cupped, you will not get rid of it. Keeping proper inflation of the tire, (not what honda recommends) will extend its life. Balancing beads also aid in masking the issue for awhile. These help keep the tire balance as it wears. In the end, after replacing both tires my wobble has all but disappeared.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my 1500 it was the tires. Both front and rear were near the end of their life. I have a super brace, which I believes masks the issue for a while, but once the front tire is cupped, you will not get rid of it. Keeping proper inflation of the tire, (not what honda recommends) will extend its life. Balancing beads also aid in masking the issue for awhile. These help keep the tire balance as it wears. In the end, after replacing both tires my wobble has all but disappeared.
I can't say I've ever noticed any wheel wobble on my 06, although as the tires wore down a bit if you let the bars go you would get a bit of a wobble then. I have fitted a set of Centramatics to the bike and I have noticed that i get no wheel wobble at all, all the way through the life of the tire. The best thing i have ever done.
Steiny
from downunder

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
At first it would go away with a new rear tire, but as the bike aged even new rubber did nothing to help.

I have changed my steering head bearings with tapered bearings and this was AFTER I had the stock bearings retourqed. Retourqing did nothing to help. As soon as the tapered bearings were installed no more wobble.

That's the deal on mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do they have the tapered bearings for the 1500's also? I have the Metzlers me880s on the ride. Always had them since 1992 on my 81 GL. I just got my 98 SE two years ago, and it just started to wobble recently. I will check for a fork brace too as my 81 had one and it never wobbled. Thanks for any input folks! :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
the 98 SE that I road for 60K miles never had a wobble until one set of E3s, after I replaced that front tire, it was gone again, It seems it is more of a tire issue than anything, It seems as E3s cause more trouble than most. A finicky beast wit tires. It also seem that the E3s cup worse than any, boosting the front tire pressure helps. I now have a 2013 that has E3s on it, are cupped more than I have ever seen before. Next spring I am planning on going over to Bridgestone radials. Seems more people brag about how the goldwings like that tire, just have to raise tire pressures to get more life.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I also had the wobble with the E3. changed to bridgestone g709 and the wobble was gone. have put 10k on the bridgestone so far this summer and still no wobble.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I had the wobble on my 1500 when I first got it, it had Dunlop E3s. Started with the super brace which helped then I had all steel steering head bearing put in with a stiffer spring in the forks has not wobbled since, just about 3 years now.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
New front tire most likely will stop the wobble. Put a Bridgestone on it....Isaac

1 - 17 of 17 Posts