Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the front tire on my 2010 Goldwing and thought it would be a good or normal time to repack the front wheel bearing. However, I cannot find any scheduled wheel bearing repack in the owners manual or the service manual. I asked the Honda dealer here in Waco, TX and the individual that I talked to did not know and suggested - when it needs it. A question to the guys that have the experience when does the front wheel bearing need to be repacked?

·
Registered
18 Posts
They are indeed a non serviceable item on your bike. You can check them, if you have the wheel off, spin them and feel for any drag, grind, and they should all four spin freeley. I suggest to customers to change them at or near 75k miles to 100k and go back with good sealed Timkens or All Ball Brand. Replace all four of them and the dust seals as well.

You will hear from Wings going well over 100k miles with no problems, and also from some with only 40k and the Bearings making noise. Who knows?? They should be felt on each tire change, either by your Tire Installer or yourself. And as above, I would change em out, when your Wing starts racking up the above miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I looked through the service manual I have and it says nothing about repacking the bearings. My assumption is it should probably be checked whenever you have a tire change done. Other than that I have no idea....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I spun the wheel before I removed it and again after I re-installed it and it sounded normal and I did not feel any vibration. Of course, as old and deaf as I am the thing might have had pea gravel in it and I would probably not have heard it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks. I spun the wheel before I removed it and again after I re-installed it and it sounded normal and I did not feel any vibration. Of course, as old and deaf as I am the thing might have had pea gravel in it and I would probably not have heard it.
Time to get one of the grandkids to take a listen. FYI the bearings are sealed bearings which need no grease. From personal experience, I'd say it would be pretty unusual to have any issues with the bearings but checking them every time you change tires is good preventative care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts