Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at replacing my front tire over the winter months (no down time come spring that way) and am torn now over brand. I have the replacement D250 and rear wheel for the rear so it's an easy swap for me when the thing's due. But I'm really liking the Avon AV71 (Cobra) tire and the Bridgestone G709. I thought about sticking to the D250 OEM but I'm so curious about these other two tires I can't decide. The 'stone looks like a good match even though it's a different brand tire, but the Cobra is such an aggressive looking tread design I wonder if the wet handling would be better than either one of the others. Anybody tried the Cobras? I doubt there would be any real issue with the mis-match brand unless somebody has some information to the contrary?

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
you know i'm sticking with my tried and trusted e3's

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the E3 is the best tire for a 1500. Not mouch faithful response for them on the 1800 (radial) version though. Mostly road noise, but lots of complaints with the wet handling characterisics too. I should probably go with the G709 but I love the look of that Avon:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
I've only had my front Stones 709 on for about a month so I can't give you any wear comments yet. Get the Cobra's so we can compare notes later. Of course it's about two riding seasons to one between the front and rear tires so it may take some time to compare.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
This morning at breakfast some of the guys were talking tires on their 1800. One just got back from a trip and had to replace his tires on the road. Had Avon's on and went to Bridge stones. He was saying something about the tread blocks on the Avon's were shredding or separating along the edges. This was the second set that did it.
This second hand info, I didn't see them.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Stones on my 1800. First set was on the bike when I got it. On this set I have 12 k miles on the front. It was a quiet tire until it got 10 k and then it started to hum in the corners. Hasn't cupped and has shown even wear across the tread. I may get another thousand out of it but I will change soon and for sure I will stay with the Stones. It grips good in what rain I have been in and wears much better than Dunflops. It is a radial though and aren't 1500's supposed to use non radials? I have heard good and bad about the AVONS but I have stuck with Stones.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
when i get an 1800 wing i will not put e3's, avon, or bridgstone tires on it

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
when i get an 1800 wing i will not put e3's, avon, or bridgstone tires on it
That about leaves the Metzelers as your only option, or are you thinking about making your own brand of tires ? Now if you're talking about rear tires there are a lot of choices and styles, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you look around you will see all kinds of good and bad remarks on tires. Lots of people love Avons and lots of people hate them due to tread seperation. I ran Dunflops E3's on my 08 and they worked good but would howl in the corners, My last set of tires were bridgestones, 709 front and 702 rear, (70 series on rear) only had about 10,000 miles on them when I sold my bike but if I go back to a wing that is what I will run. Your opinion may vary .
My 09 concours came with bridgestones 021's on it and they are junk!! Changed to Bridgestone 023 and love them, even though you might have the same maker there are differences between tires. Gaet some advice from others but the best results will come from your own riding. Some guys on the concours board swear by a certain tire but they get 3 to 4000 miles from it, But they drag pegs everytime they go out and do track days, They are more interested in grip than mileage.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Stones on my 1800. First set was on the bike when I got it. On this set I have 12 k miles on the front. It was a quiet tire until it got 10 k and then it started to hum in the corners. Hasn't cupped and has shown even wear across the tread. I may get another thousand out of it but I will change soon and for sure I will stay with the Stones. It grips good in what rain I have been in and wears much better than Dunflops. It is a radial though and aren't 1500's supposed to use non radials? I have heard good and bad about the AVONS but I have stuck with Stones.
DW, I have read on several posts that bias ply ONLY to be used on 1500's.
Strat

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the Avons are certainly pricier than the 'stones!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I believe my 09 came with the Dunlop D205 when new, then went to the E3s and now using the Bridgestone G709.
The Gs seem to have a smoother feel vs the E3s. The E3 pattern seems to have better tread design for wet weather.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts