Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, can a bigger tire be installed on the front of a 1800, something like a 150/60 or 70/18 I find that the front tire wares funny on the sides. My Valkyrie never did that, and I think it's because the tire was wider. Did anyone try a bigger tire?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have not as I have. 2012, what year Wing do you have ?
Do you have ABS?
What are your riding habits? Are you like me and get lazy and just use the front brakes mostly? Except for corners. Do you blast off from a light only to have to panic stop with just the front brakes at the next light?
These habits along with worn parts can cause all sorts of weird problems,
And tire wear problems. If you do ride hard like mentioned. When you replace the tire try driving normally for a while to see if the tire wear improves.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Knelson, I have a 2003 with ABS, I drive normal. It's only because the tire wears on the left side more than the right but just in the front, the back is a car tire. I know it's the road that causes this problem, because of the slope on the road. When I had my valkyrie it never had that problem, and I'm sure it's because the tire was wider in the front. Both tires where new when I left for my 12000 KM ride out west. The back tire is still like new, but the front has that weird wear pattern on the left side.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Can you post a picture of this wear pattern?
I am unsure if you plan on going with a taller tire but be careful as you do not want to mess with the ABS system it is calibrated for the height of the current tire that is on your bike now , I have never heard of the crown of any road causing wear patterns in a tire. How ever I try to learn something new every day.
My suggestion is to drain the fluid in the front forks and refill them back using the wet chart.
A Front fork brace may help with this problem and improve handling.
Be sure to check the bearings as I stated previously.
Are you like most people whom are more comfortable turning sharper corners to the left?
One other thing was this problem on your bike before you went to the Darkside?

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Knelson, all the front end was done in the spring plus new springs and brace. Before I left for my trip got a new tire. This is not the first time it wears like this. I got a few picture you could look at, if you look at the first one taken from the top you could see the wear on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't see a problem if your running a NASCAR track to work and making all left turns to get there.
This is very strange.
How many miles are on that tire?
The first check I would make is put the bike on the center stand and raise the front some how either with a jack or a person on the passenger seat. With the front tire off the ground remove all controls cables brake lines off the handle bars.
Then hold the bars straight ahead and see if the bar falls to one side or the other. Hold the bar to the left and see if it stays there the. Do the same for the right. There is a specific test for checking this and procedure I forget the names perhaps someone else could pipe in. Btw the fork brace would need to be removed for this test.
This may not cause your problem but if the bearings have been serviced it doesn't mean it was done correctly.
Where I am going with this you may have too much or not enough preload on the neck bearings. On my old Harley the manual had a nice write up on checking this. Most slacker commission mechanics skip this step because of the almighty dollar.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Knelson, now the tire has about 13500 KM, still lots of tread. You mention this test, what is it supposed to show me? I do all the work myself, the bearings were torque twice. I've been doing work on my bikes for over 40 years, I don't trust the dealers. When I go on my bike I could actually put it on cruise and sit back, cross my arms and she will go straight. One thing I thought about, when I went on my trip of 13000 KM, I would, on most of the trip, rest my leg on the left side highway peg. Is it possible, because of that, the tire wore on one side? PS: the previous tire wore normally. It was the same make (Dunlop Elite 3)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am more of automotive-general mechanic I have no special training on motorcycles. I use a keep it simple method of repairing hard to fix problems. I am unsure if this test will reveal anything other than if the preload is setup correctly. What it will cause if it isn't done correctly is anyones guess. Our gold wings are very heavy and well balanced The Wing could ride straight and feel good but the whole front end could be bound up and you wouldn't notice.
Other than tire wear. I will look in my old Harley manuals and find this test and get back to you after PT

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is an interesting problem as I myself and most of the wing riders I run with have more wear on the left than right. Pay perticular attention to your cornering habits as we have followed each other and determined that we all seem to corner more aggressively to the left than we do to the right. Left turns are usually more sweeping and longer that right turns and you can push just a little harder in them. My left board touches a lot more thaan my right as apperant by the noise and wear on them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The forks are different from each other.Unlike the previous wings.Also steering head
bearings are cheap ball bearings instead of roller bearings all contributing to front end
problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.