Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dunlop 404 on the front of my bike and I got almost 12,000 miles out of it. It needs to be replaced.

I have looked at replacing with the same tire, but in doing my research, I found this Shinko SR733F as a viable replacement and I was just wondering if anyone else has run a Shinko tire.

130/70-18 63H

$77.00 shipped to my door.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
The only thing I can remember for certain about them is that they are commonly referred to as Stinko. Seems to me the owners didn't care much for them.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
stinko shinko bought the old yokohama molds

·
Registered
741 Posts
Cheapo Shinko. Don't do it. They may have Yokohama's old molds but their rubber combounds are near the worst in the industry. Not for your Wing my friend.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stinko shinko bought the old yokohama molds
Poor performance and..... what else? lol

I have heard the Stinko reference from a Honda salesman from Everett Power Sports in Everett, WA last year. He said they sell them and mount them.... but he was not a fan of them. The bike he was riding that day had them on it and we were discussing Wings on the ferry. This was before I bought my Wing. He actually was the one who convinced me to test ride a Wing. I did, but they only had 1800's up there and he suggested that if I wanted to try a Wing......to look for a low mileage 1500 and give it a one year try out. Well, one year is up.... and the 1500 Wing is a keeper.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheapo Shinko. Don't do it. They may have Yokohama's old molds but their rubber combounds are near the worst in the industry. Not for your Wing my friend.
I value your opinion.

I was reading some reviews of the tire from some track folks and they were ok with that particular tire they were running on the bike, that day.

When I bought my Dunlop 404 tire and brought it to the shop that installed my tire, he said, "not the right tire for my bike." I said, it was rated for the weight and speed of my bike. He said, "Not the right tire." I had him put it on. Almost 12,000 miles later, I am replacing it as it is worn out.

I am still looking at that price tag.... lol I am not in a hurry to buy, so I am doing my study now.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
we use to call yokohama tires yuckohama tires and if you got a bike with yuckohama's your first modification was to get rid of them

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure about running them on a big touring bike but I have been quite happy with all the Shinko tires I have run on my Dual Sports and Adventure Touring bikes.

I think the negative you hear is simply parroted ignorance. It would be nice to hear from someone that has actually run them.

Again, I have not run them on a Big Touring bike but I will as soon as I wear out the set that I have.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about running them on a big touring bike but I have been quite happy with all the Shinko tire I have run on my Dual Sports and Adventure Touring bikes.

I think the negative you hear is simply parroted ignorance. It would be nice to hear from someone that has actually run them.

Again, I have not run them on a Big Touring bike but I will as soon as I wear out the set that I have.
Don't say anything to anybody, but I just ordered them from Motorcycle Superstore. I will be the test dummy on these. If I don't like em.... I will immediately pull them off and do something different.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Let us know how you like em. To be honest, the last Shinko I bought was over a decade ago. The knobbies tore off from the carcass the first weekend, plain junk. Like any company which has been around for a while, I am sure they have improved or obviously they wouldn't still be in business. I just had a knee jerk reaction to the brand name.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
I value your opinion.

I was reading some reviews of the tire from some track folks and they were ok with that particular tire they were running on the bike, that day.

When I bought my Dunlop 404 tire and brought it to the shop that installed my tire, he said, "not the right tire for my bike." I said, it was rated for the weight and speed of my bike. He said, "Not the right tire." I had him put it on. Almost 12,000 miles later, I am replacing it as it is worn out.

I am still looking at that price tag.... lol I am not in a hurry to buy, so I am doing my study now.
when i got my 1200 wing the tires were past being bad but the riding season was almost over. i got a 404 put on the rear only to find out that the load rating was too low for a fully loaded wing so when spring came i ordered e3's for the front and rear and thats why your guy told you " wrong tires "

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Amazing variety of tire brand names available. Just had " Americus " ?????? brand put on my service van. Made in China, I think. Thank goodness there are four tires on my vehicle as there is little chance they will all blow up at the same time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Never tried shinko. But I have to admit most of what I have read has been negative. I would like to read reviews from those who have ran them until they wron out then gave their opinion. The best that I have tried on the front so far has been Bridgestone.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when i got my 1200 wing the tires were past being bad but the riding season was almost over. i got a 404 put on the rear only to find out that the load rating was too low for a fully loaded wing so when spring came i ordered e3's for the front and rear and thats why your guy told you " wrong tires "
You are correct with your assessment of a D404 on the rear of a 1500.

When I was doing my research, I found out:

Front Tire: The service rating, speed ratio and the fitment was the same as the D177 which was stock on the Wing.

Rear Tire: D404 is not rated high enough for the 1500.

He and I went over that data and we agreed that it was an adequate installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny I was just going to ask

I was just going to post a question about shinko tires in GL 1100 sizes I'm running shinko 100/90-18 front and 130/70-16 on my 81 Maxim 550 5k on the front 4k on the rear, so far their great the compound is soft but they stick like crazy. I don't see the rear going more 9-10k but so what it was only like $65. The only thing I don't like is the fronts tendency to fall into a turn , but that might be the bike not the tire. And I'll be perfectly honest here I'm not rich Thats why I ride an 81 Yamaha and soon an 80 GL 1100 so a tire that serves my purpose and one I can get at a good price is important. Now back to the matter at hand I know the Maxim is only about 2/3 the weight of a GL 1100, so has anyone run shinko's on a goldwing for the life of the tire? Inquiring minds want to know

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.