Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding my new to me GL1800 home I stopped for fuel. Guy at gas station walked up and was talking about the bike. He looked at the front tire and said "your due for a replacement".
How soon does this tire look to needing replacement? The rear tire has 3K miles on it according to paperwork owner gave me. Both tires are Bridgestone 704/709 model. I did check the air pressure on the front tire and its 35psi to ensure I wasn't riding on middle of tire.

·
Premium Member
6,524 Posts
strange....is that on a Trike? Are there any curvy roads in your area?
by the photo supplied....you are up to the wear bars for replacement in the center grove.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I see the wear bars myself in your last picture..........Just look carefully inside the treads and look for that rubber that is inside, that's your wear bar, when it get even with the tread on you tires it then due to be replaced...
While riding my new to me GL1800 home I stopped for fuel. Guy at gas station walked up and was talking about the bike. He looked at the front tire and said "your due for a replacement".
How soon does this tire look to needing replacement? The rear tire has 3K miles on it according to paperwork owner gave me. Both tires are Bridgestone 704/709 model. I did check the air pressure on the front tire and its 35psi to ensure I wasn't riding on middle of tire. View attachment 275872 View attachment 275873

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll roll the tire and look more closely for the wear indicator in the middle groove. I'll plan on ordering a new tire this week as I need to get a safety inspection for my state.

I'm not sure how the bike was ridden or what pressure the tire was maintained as I just purchased a few days ago. I was just astounded that the guy mentioned it needed replacement as he quickly glanced over.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
depends
do you do your own tire changes?
I push mine farther than some...... but I change my own tires
When it has just a little more tread than yours, I order one and have it ready to go
then start doing a weekly check...... just as the center grove is all but gone, I swap them out
or....more than likely for me, there starts to be too much issue where the different tire compounds meet.
But I also usually only put on 50 miles per day going to work, not much distance riding currently

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not planning on changing my own tires and will have to call around to local mechanics. I went ahead and ordered a new tire from Dennis Kirk site as they seemed to be the most cost effective at $128 for same Bridgestone tire.

Last year I only did 2K miles on my Shadow and from past experience have replaced tires from age more than riding but hopefully that will change as I have planned a weekend trip this spring.

I'm glad the guy at the gas station mentioned something and I was able to get y'alls advice also. I would gave gone further on tire than what I should have safely done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How soon does this tire look to needing replacement? The rear tire has 3K miles on it according to paperwork owner gave me. Both tires are Bridgestone 704/709 model. I did check the air pressure on the front tire and its 35psi to ensure I wasn't riding on middle of tire. View attachment 275872 View attachment 275873
A digression - don't put a car tire (darkside) on the bike. I did it once oping to save money by getting 25,000 mile on a car tire. But sacrificing safety just isn't worth it. Bike and car tires are constructed VERY differently.
Anyhoo, looks like you could get a few more rides out of your tire.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If you want to find the wear bars in the center groove of the tire and do not know what they look like take a small screwdriver and pull it down the groove and you will feel a bump as the screwdriver rides over the wear bar, the wear bar is noticeable in your picture and the picture shows that you have life left in the tire.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Premium Audio
17 Posts
A digression - don't put a car tire (darkside) on the bike. I did it once oping to save money by getting 25,000 mile on a car tire. But sacrificing safety just isn't worth it. Bike and car tires are constructed VERY differently.
Anyhoo, looks like you could get a few more rides out of your tire.
Hahahaha! noobie missed the millions of safe miles reported by car tire riders like me... on my 5th one! And I only get 13,000 max out of my run-flat car tire. It's not the money saving, it's the safety of run-flat that I'm after. If they made a run-flat MC tire, I'd buy it!

David

Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 11 of 11 Posts