Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 gl18, I got 11,200 out of the original tires, changed them out as most the members in my GoldWing club are running the Dunlop Elite 3
So I went to those. I didn't really need to change out the front, but because of change I want to match types. I pull a leesurelite trailer which I put over 5,000 miles with the original tires on the bike.
I now have 4,600 miles on the new elite 3's and yes I except some cupping on the rear because of the weight. It's the front tire, left side only which is cupping very fast and has got me confused about why. I have had the tire man who changed these out, just draw a blank face. The guys I ride with from the club are also confused as they usually get two rear tires to one front tire. Yes, I check the air before each ride. I been running 39 in the front, 41 in the rear. Trying to decide to go back to the stock original tires or try one more elite. Thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm really new to motorcycles so can't address your specific problem, so I'll just hit on cupping in general.

One of the most common reasons for a tire cupping is out-of-balance. you might consider removing the wheel and having the balance checked. Is it possible that you threw a weight? You may also consider the Dyna-Beads. I've read several postings on the net where guys using them swear by them.

Another common reason for cupping is bad shocks. Since it's doubtful your shocks would be bad so soon, look at other reasons that would make the tire "bounce" instead of flex. Does the 1800 have air suspension on the front forks? If so, you may want to back off the pressure a bit. Also, depending on how much you weigh, you may be running a couple pounds too much air in the front tire, especially if you spend a lot of time pulling the trailer. I know that a motorcycle trailer doesn't have much tongue weight, but whatever tongue weight it has will cause the weight to be lifted from the front wheel. If the tire has a bit too much pressure but not enough load, it will cause the tire to bounce and impact the road surface instead of the tire just flexing and staying in complete contact with the road.

Hope that may give you a couple of ideas. Like I said, I'm pretty green to motorcycles, but I am a bit familiar with loads and towing.

Hoss

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... ALL VERY GOOD POINTS MR. HOSS ... I HAVE BEEN A DUNLOP FAN FOR MANY YEARS AND THIS TIME I SWITCHED TO - METZLER 880's ... I ONLY HAVE 2000K. ON THEM BUT THEY ARE WHISPER QUITE AND SEEM TO BE OUT PREFORMING THE DUNLOPS ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome MT.Turbo,i believe CV Hoss is definately pointing in the right direction.I'm a car wrench,thinking about your issue.For the tire to cup only on one side i feel you have something going on with your front forks,uneven pressure,one side with a bad spring or something.Or,the tire itself is just plain defective. I think Dunlops are fine tires,possible you just got a bum one.Good Luck, Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
MT, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. I've never had cupping problems with any of my bikes, (maybe I'm one of he lucky one's), but from what I've hear on other forums is that many times the problem with the front tire is caused by the rear tire. Can't prove it by me, just passing along what I've heard. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I had alwaysa ran Dunlops on all my wings, my last E3 cupped bad at 9,500 miles, never before got that few miles from one. I now run Bridgestone's and love them. I suggest you do the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You All

I have had two other tire guys, look at this. All three have agree it's a bad tire. I have been waiting on WingStuff, to get back to me on this. they haven't not. So much for being a VIP, what good is a discount if the product is not good?
Finally called Dunlop and they are very interested in this tire. I need to bring the bike/tire back to my tire man. He will than call them and they will figure something out. I will let all you great folks know how it turns out. Thanks again for all of your reply's.

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. This principle is, contempt prior to examination - William Paley

·
Registered
263 Posts
Strike 3= defective tire.Glad nothing's wrong with your bike. Hope all goes well with the replacement. Nice to hear Dunlop is actually interested!! I'm a little miffed at Wingstuff right now too. Again,Good Luck and ride Safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the natural tire wear that always occurs on the left because of the crown in the road. (or opposite if you are in UK or Australia). And cupping is always worse on fronts, because the tire is subjected to only braking force, no acceleration. Of course the other factors mentioned, shocks, tire pressure, balance, etc all play a role in the wear pattern. If this particular tire the thread is discussing is defective, I hope you get some explanation or compensation from Dunlop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any possibility that the front fork pressure is different in each fork allowing a slight twist when hitting a bump and allowing for the cupping? Just a thought.. Ride safe all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the natural tire wear that always occurs on the left because of the crown in the road. (or opposite if you are in UK or Australia). And cupping is always worse on fronts, because the tire is subjected to only braking force, no acceleration. Of course the other factors mentioned, shocks, tire pressure, balance, etc all play a role in the wear pattern. If this particular tire the thread is discussing is defective, I hope you get some explanation or compensation from Dunlop.
Hog wash. If this is the case then why doesn't all bikes do it. It is worse on the Honda's with a drive shaft. If what you say is true then how can I get over 30,000 miles on the front tire without cupping on my Ultra?

Elite 3's take more tire pressure. . I run 42 psi front and back. If you use the recommended tire pressure that is in the manual you will get cupping. On the factory tires I run 40 and 40 psi. I suggest you check them often.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't forget the weird suspension setup on the wing, with compression damping in one fork and rebound in the other! This has to cause the wheel/axle to flex vertically (left to right) as the forks compress and return! That must also cause some weird wear on the tyre.. I would be checking that your forks have the correct amount and type of oil in them as that might also cause some strange effects and is quite easy to check.. Hope Dunlop replace the tyre.. I just fitted Avons and am waiting to see how they wear, but also have a traxxion front end so hope not to see any cupping or there will be trouble!:)

Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
I take offense at dirtdobber calling my opinion hogwash! I think I made some valid points even if he doesn't. I didn't think this forum was for trashtalking the other contributors!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I take offense at dirtdobber calling my opinion hogwash! I think I made some valid points even if he doesn't. I didn't think this forum was for trashtalking the other contributors!
I meant on harm or offense to you personally. It's just that I have heard it more than it deserves to be said.
Logically speaking, if it was the design of the road because we are in the northern climate would it not cause all bikes to have cupping on the left side of the tire. My Ultra had 34,000 miles on the front tire and there were no cupping at all, just getting thin. My Suzuki did not have a cupping problem or my Triumph and so on.
I make long distance rides every year and have noticed the VTX and Goldwing is never straight up as compared to other bikes. They have a slight lean to them. I have no clue as what it really is. I do know if I run 40+ psi it cuts it back a lot.
Thrasherg
Don't forget the weird suspension setup on the wing, with compression damping in one fork and rebound in the other! This has to cause the wheel/axle to flex vertically (left to right) as the forks compress and return! That must also cause some weird wear on the tyre.. I would be checking that your forks have the correct amount and type of oil in them as that might also cause some strange effects and is quite easy to check.. Hope Dunlop replace the tyre.. I just fitted Avons and am waiting to see how they wear, but also have a traxxion front end so hope not to see any cupping or there will be trouble!

Gary
This makes sense to me but I still do not know for sure. My opinion is this (we know about opinions don't we)
No one really knows for sure what it's true cause is. We only know certain things like upping tire pressure helps, that's all.

I do apologize and perhaps I should have chosen a better way of saying it.

dd

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am buying a 02 GW that has 8,900 miles on it and the front tire is cupped pretty good but at least it is even. I am going to get a new set of tires anyway but would like to know what causes this so it doesen't happen again.

By the way I had the same problem on my Ford Exploder with the front tires cupping really bad but I did haul 900LBS of ammo in the back quite often for the gun shows.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've only had one tyre cup on me and it was a long time ago on my 1200I (circa 1988). I caught it early enough and it was related directly to pressure settings. I followed the advice of one of the GWRRA chapter members, upped the pressure 3 psi and bingo, no more cupping. Other than a tad firmer ride, no handling problems and got about 80% of the expected life of the tyre. Not enough mileage on the 1800 yet to see what the tyres are doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
metzeler

Don't see where to start a new thread so here goes.I dumped the dunchops due to cupping on 3 goldwings.Went to the 880 metzeler(cupping stopped) but chunked off a big piece of tread on the rear tire.(3000mi)Didn't think much about it.Went back to the dealer to get a new one,and standing at the counter was a man with the same problem(his came off a venture.)We took pictures and contacted metzeler.They of course had never heard of this problem.I went ahead and had another 880 installed as to match the front.The other guy went with a bridgestone.I will switch to something else when this pair needs to be replaced.Are we the only two that have had this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires!

I tend to believe my fellow riders when they talk about problems and coming up with ideas they have tried to remedy those problems. I am surprise here on how many Goldwing's have tire cupping problems. Well I just came in from detailing our 08 GL1800. Guess what? Cupping tires.
Original dunlops 5,750 total miles. Maintain book pressure all the time.
Where is or has there been any manufactures chime in on this issue? If not why not? Honda or the tire folks? Ride safe

·
Registered
515 Posts
I always had a personalb problem (car or bike) putting on a non-oem tire and then using the manufacturers spec for tire inflation. If I followed Hondas recommendation for the K177 tire that was originally installed, in the E3's I'm running now, the tires would be under inflated. I use Dunlops recommendation for tire inflation front and rear. Had over 17000 on the last set with life left until I picked up a nail, replaced the set.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts