Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with my 2002 wing that developed right after I took the bike in to a honda dealer to replace a leaky fork seal. The leak was minor and wasn't ocurring for very long before bringing it in. The problem is it now seems like I have almost no suspension travel and when going on any bumps (even concrete hwy expansion joints) the front end doesn't seem to smooth anything out. Its scarey to ride over 60mph as every little bump jolts the handlebars. The bike has progressive springs in it and they worked great prior to the recent service, and I have had it back to the dealer with no luck yet fixing it. The other thing I've noticed is that the distance from the top front fender to the base of the fairing is only about 4" , whereas on a new 2008 its closer to 5.5". This is measured while on the side stand. Prior to going in the shop the fork oil was 15 weight, the dealer at first put in standard 10 weight and then after I complained of the harsh ride he put in 7 weight oil. The oil weight didn't seem to matter. Does anyone have any clues as to what might be going on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good day. There are a few possiblities for a harsh ride. There is an anti dive valve on the left fork leg that is possibly stuck on. An easy check is just to unbolt it (takes a 4 mm allen wrench) and test ride. If all seems normal, replace it. Unfortunately it is about $160.00. Next, there is a possiblity of to much oil. One side of the fork tubes has a cartridge inside that has to be pumped out. If that is not done and the oil quantity in the shop manual is added on top of that you will encounter a hydraulic lock. Another possiblity is the forks being in a bind of some kind. Fork tube misalignment (one higher or lower then the other). The front axle should slide freely through the fork legs. Short of these, it will probably require a disassembly and inspection. It should be a plush ride. Good luck with your repair!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GL1800 suspension

Thanks for the insight. i've got the anti-dive disconnected, now just waiting for the rain to stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts