Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on my 87 interstate. The left front brake rotor seams to be warped a little bit, I thought these floated! I’m also changing the front wheel bearings and seals so I’m going to check run out on the axle and rotor. Are there any tricks or tips I need to know about when handling the speedo gear?
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey Gateway - The disassembly of the front end, brakes, discs, etc.... is pretty straight forward. The mechanical speedometer cable is gear driven by two flat fingers (inner side) of the speedo-assembly which is encased in a protective housing. During front end reassembly - there are two precautions -

1 "Don't Over Tighten" the small tapered screw that secures the plastic end of the speedometer cable. The cable attachment point is easily split. Just align the speedometer cable into it's small drive slot, push the speedometer cable into the housing then lightly snug the attaching screw with a little gasket sealant on the threads.
2 "Don't Tighten Down" the ends of the front wheel axle until you are happy with the speedometer cable routing (eyelet along upper left side of the front fender, etc...) and the final angle of the speedometer drive gear housing.

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like to lube the speedo cable while I’m in there. It’s more work the take it off the speedo head, but it’s cheap peace-of-mind. I saw a 1200 with those black fancy wave rotors on the front. Made it look newer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.