Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just helped out my brother in law purchase his first wing. 1995 Aspencade. I have a 90 Aspencade.
I noticed it seems his front forks are a bit "mushy"? compared to mine. When I sit on the bikes and hold the front brake and apply pressure it appears his has more freedom (not as much resistence). It doesn't bottom out. I don't see any leaks.
I sat on some other wings at the dealer and most others did seem more like mine then his.

Any thoughts or concerns?

thanks,
Larry

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Larry, I assume you cked air pressure. If so change fork oil is possibility. Another thing is. Is it possible that someone installed progressive suspension? Although if it was changed I have never heard anyone who has done progressive say that it feels mushy.
Just my .02 I'm sure you will get some other opinions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well dumb me... This is my first bike and first wing in 30 years. I thought the pressure was for the rear only. I am assuming you are talking about the on-board compressor?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
As far as I know there are 4 things that can affect the front suspension. Springs, fork oil, air pressure in the forks and tire pressure. As Fossil said check the air pressure on both front forks. The owners manual should have the recommended settings. (If I remember correctly it's somewhere between 0 and 6 psi). Do you have any record of when the fork oil was last changed? How many miles are on the bike? If the mileage is high, were the springs ever replaced either with new OEM or another type like progressive. Did you check the tire pressure?

I know I've given you more questions than answers, but at least you will know what to check. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Well dumb me... This is my first bike and first wing in 30 years. I thought the pressure was for the rear only. I am assuming you are talking about the on-board compressor?
No, under the fork caps on the steering head there are valves for adding air pressure to the front forks.

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
No, under the fork caps on the steering head there are valves for adding air pressure to the front forks.
Just a side note. Don't just hit these with high air pressure. You can damage the seals. Make sure you read manual or turn air regulator way down, as Two Wheel said the max pressure is 6. I believe you are right my Dual Tired friend.

Yes you are correct Doc the pressure adjustment on dash with onboard compressor is for the rears only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts