Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ... so this is the 2nd time I’ve had to replace the back part of me front fender on my 2012 GL1800. The threaded attaching ears are breaking off which creates a horrible rattle and otherwise just not healthy. I THINK the reason is that my after-market chrome water guard extension (with a rubber/plastic extension which made it even longer) may be striking outer ridge of (unseen) potholes - causing the fender to be violently pushed up and back. Anyway - I spent ~$300 buying a new fender and the front 2 side panels. But this time I did not replace the guard in hopes I won’t have to buy a 4th.‘’

Anyone had to deal with his?

·
Premium Member
23,675 Posts
Ok ... so this is the 2nd time I’ve had to replace the back part of me front fender on my 2012 GL1800. The threaded attaching ears are breaking off which creates a horrible rattle and otherwise just not healthy. I THINK the reason is that my after-market chrome water guard extension (with a rubber/plastic extension which made it even longer) may be striking outer ridge of (unseen) potholes - causing the fender to be violently pushed up and back. Anyway - I spent ~$300 buying a new fender and the front 2 side panels. But this time I did not replace the guard in hopes I won’t have to buy a 4th.‘’

Anyone had to deal with his?
I had a fender extender along with the cracked fender. Since then I have had no fender extender and no cracked fender. That's how I fixed it.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I have a short black plastic fender extender that is glued (not screwed) on and have had no issues other than it fell off once.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a short black plastic fender extender that is glued (not screwed) on and have had no issues other than it fell off once.
I think I have the same one (extenda fender) and also no problems. It is attached with double faced tape, and I added some RTV to help secure it.
One of the biggest problems with the tabs breaking is over tightening the screws going through the caliper cover to the fender. Hand tight only!
Honda should have reinforced the tabs though.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I tried to get a fender extender put on by my dealer when I purchased my "12" wing and he refused. Said had too many issues of fenders cracking and did not want the headache or cost of replacing. I opted for a belly pan to protect the oil pan. Very happy with it.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
It's a common thing with the 1800. I had a rubber extended flap on my old 1200i for 8 years and no issues, and it was bolted right through the fender (drilling was required) with chrome bullet caps on the bolt heads. That bike had a much different front fender makeup (stronger) and shape than the 1800 does.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do a search. You will find pages of posts like yours. It is the big fender extender. They just catch to much air and pull on the bottom of the fender. I picked up a show chrome extender for my 2012. When I saw how much air it would catch and all the posts of damage, I did not put it on. No fender damage issues for me.

The Fender Extender brand may be narrow and tapered enough that it does not catch the air as much. I had one on my ST 1300 and it was nice, compact and worked great.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well - the extender(s) I installed simply added too much weight and had to replace the rear half of the front fender and side covers. Twice. So now - no extender but no issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts