Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have an '03 Wing w/ a Super Brace on it and if I take my hands off of the bars, within 5 seconds it begins to wobble out of control and it does it at any and all speeds. Any suggestions?
Thanks..........

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't take my hands off the bars so wobble isn't a concern. The biggest culprit is usually the front tire. If the front tire is worn, maybe time to replace. Do you frequently take your hands off the bars? I usually use my feet to steer and my hands to mix drinks or to shave. You opened a can of worms with this one. You can do a search. Pretty soon you will be replacing the steering head bearing, getting a new/different brand of tire, changing tire pressures, changing to triple chromed Superbrace, Dynabeads, different rear tire!, etc. The main reason the Wing has wobble is due to fork and chassis geometry, like a caster wheel on a shopping cart. This geometry makes the Wing a great handling bike in my book, I.E. light steering effort at speed. Another potential way to fix this, besides not letting go of the bars or spending money, is to raise the rear of the bike to a higher setting, which changes the geometry of the bike. Good luck. P.S. I want to know why I drive off the road everytime I close my eyes.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I call it the two good rule: two good hands, two good eyes, two good tires; problem solved. Doesn't mean you shouldn't check your steering head bearing torque or your axel bearings for play, it can happen.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
google tire 'cupping' and you will see it for yourself. This is not a diagnosis of your bike but it is common and is fixed by replacing the tire.

IF.....you have an old tire or tread is nearly gone, I would replace it. You are not out any money to find out if this is the fix.

Bearings are another possibility but you didn't mention the age or mileage so that is an unknown.

Good luck. and until then just keep both hands on the grips.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have found that head bearing adjustment solves the problem. usually the bearings are just a touch too loose if you get handlebar shake. May take only one "flat" of a turn (1/8 or 1/16 of a turn only!).

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
On my 1500 it would get into a bad wobble when I would push it hard and fast around a long sweeper. It would also have a shake when I would hit 140 kilometers an hour. When I got the bike approx four years ago, one of the things I did was the steering head bearing. This with a few other things quieted down the shake but still had the wobble when I pushed it in the sweepers. Ironically when I replaced the head bearing last year again (by the same mechanic) it resolved all my issues.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I've had 10 motorcycles in my lifetime and I don't think I've ever had one that the handlebars didn't shake a little when I let go of them. My suggestion is don't let go of them. If it's a serious problem you'll know it,,,,,,,

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had about eight over almost 40 years. out of those, I remember two of the early ones having a shake that I couldn't get rid of, another two in the early years that I solved with head bearing replacement and proper tension.

Of the current three bikes in our garage, 86 Venture royale, '04 Wing, and '98 Shadow, none of them currenty has a hint of handlebar shake. The Venture had it, but I tightened the bearing a tiny bit and it was gone. Wing didn't have it, but we loosened the bearings chasing another problem and it got shake, then re-did the bearings and re-adjusted, and zero shake. Honda Shadow is stable as a mountain going down the road. (how would that work, I wonder.......?) :) I have heard others say that some shake is "built" in to the basic design. Yes, you can make about any bike shake, but in my experience, most can be cured.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is there an "X" stamped at the end of the VIN# on the frame? I've read about a recall on cracking frames..I "think" it was '02~'03..& maybe early '04's.:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your reply. Mine does not have an "X" on the VIN# or at least it doesn't on the registration card. I do appreciate your reply and I'll checkout my Wing's frame either way, because I had not heard that about the recall.
Charlie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I not saying that I ride alot without my hands being on the handle bars, but I have occasionally let go for a few seconds to adjust helmet or something, and I don't think it should wobble at all and it gets very very bad if you don't stop it by placing your hand(s) back on the bars.
Thanks for your response, Charlie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking it may be the front tire and it may be, but I can't see any cupping in the tire and the tire has about 4K miles on it and my bike has about 18K on it. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Charlie

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have used Dyna-beads with great results in the past. One theory (And a good one I think) is that when a new tire is balanced initially it is indeed balanced. As the tire wears, the dynamic (Weight) of the tire changes. The wheel weights however are now MAKING the tire heavy at that spot, and may even be making the cupping effect and wear even worse....Makes sense to me. The Dyna-beads move to where they are needed. Now having said all that....Can we use Dyna-beads with the TPMS system???
(New wing owner)
Mctoy

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
I have used Dyna-beads with great resultas in the past. One theory (And a good one I think) is that when a tire is balanced initially it is ballanced. As the tire wears, the dynamic (Weight) of the tire changes. The wheel weights however are now MAKING the tire heavy at that spot....Makes sense to me. The Dyna-beads move to where they are needed. Now having said all that....Can we use Dyna-beads with the TPMS system???
(New wing owner)
Mctoy
Dyna-beads are used with the TPMS by many riders. No one ever said NO !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your swing arm bearings for proper adjust. Tire pressures, front bearing adjust, tread wear and examine tires for unusual wear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My bridgstones cupped in the later stages of their life and then the wobbles started, ditto with the E3's.
The nature of the beast.
You can bet your bottom dollar Honda will have this fixed when nthe next generation Wing comes out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
caca123; The "X" is stamped at the end of the vin# on the frame after it has been inspected/repaired if needed by a dealer...I don't think it would appear on your paper work/ownership.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've had 9 bikes. Every one wobbled when the front tire got worn. I mentioned this in another forum years ago, and the smart-ellic comments were almost identical. Maybe I am not the only one who switched to a wing!!! Or there are smart-ellics that ride all bikes..:D
I like taking my hands off some too. and normally while on cruise control. I can go for miles on the interstate hands free when the traffic is light, and the only time there is wobble is when the tire is worn. I also notice the wobble will be a lot more pronounced when slowing down and taking your hands off. If it does it then, it won't be long and even under cruise control it will wobble.:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts