Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had new dunlops put on my 08 wing by the dealer.
Between 40 and 50 km/hr I am getting a front end wobble.
At higher speeds it goes away. I am taking it in to the dealer next week but is there anything I should be aware of so the dealer does not try to blow me off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi ya bearandladybear.....I am experiencing the exact same thing you are..I have an 08' 1800GL with about 38,000 miles on it, just yesterday I put on a brand new set of DUnlop 3's front/rear, previously I had very little front end wooble, but I pulled out of the dealers (who put them on) and the first time I 40 mph heres comes a real eye opener!...front end wooble...I thought wow!..what the heck is this!...so I jumped on google and wow was that ever an eye opener!...there were more threads about that exact same problem than I could ever imagine....I read and tried every thing they suggested..from adjusting the tire pressure, to adjust the passenger settings, to trying it riding two up....I ran it by the dealer and of course I got the ole "nature of the beast" response, but it iscarey thinking about the wooble and how bad it could get...please let me know what your dealer has to say......I read everything about fork braces, to changing the sterring head bearings to "ALLBALLS"..but some riders say that some of works and some say, it is a waste of money....I think that the one thing they all agree on is that Honda knows about the problem and they are unwilling to do anything about it, to fix it, sad when we spend $20,000 on a motorcycle and it woobles down the road. Here is my email, please let me [email protected] luck...and Gods Speed....motorgreg

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... DID I MENTION THAT I SWITCHED FROM DUNLOP E-3's TO METZLER 880's AND AM REALLY ENJOYING THEM ... VERY QUITE AND EXCELLENT HANDLING ... BOUGHT THEM ONLINE FROM MOTORCYCLE SUPER STORE GREAT PRICES AND "FREE" SHIPPING ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
'08 here with 12,000 + miles on original tires. At or around 40 mph, take both hands off the bar and wobble,wobble, wobble. I assume it is still there with both hands on the bar, just not overtly noticeable. 50 mph +, set cruise control, take both hands off the bar, very smooth. What the heck is this 40 mph sore spot all about ? It seems it's just a " rhetorical " question so far since it is not being answered.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When Honda came out with the 1800 they put roller bearings in the neck, the 1500 had tapered bearing and had no wobble. You can buy tapered bearings for the 1800 and that will take care of the wobble. New tires will usually cure it for a short time. But putting tapered head bearings will cure it for good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
welp, I did it I jumped off and had a set of those ALL-BALLS steering head bearings put into my steering head. To bring everyone up to date, I had just put a brand new pair of Dunlop Elite 3's on my 08 Wing and when I would hit 40 MPH the front end wooble would start and finish about 50 mph, what a pain......so I put a set of the ALL-BALLS into my steering and wow! what a difference....I would safely say that approx. 90 percent of my wooble is gone!..I am very pleased, so far so good...the bearings ran me about $40 from my dealer, a little high, but ok, since they cut my cost down from $320 to $188, and that included out the door cost....so I was very pleased.......those ALL-BALLS did the trick for my wing....no more wooble.....good luck bikers, I hope that you have the same luck I did.......ride to live and live to ride....motorgreg

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Had a new tire put on the rear yesterday ( screw imbeded in it ). I brought up the topic of the infamous wobble. The mech said that the torque specs on the steering column were set low by Honda Factory . He said if he tightened the steering column the wobble would go away. I'll live with it for the rest of this year as it is really now just a psychological issue with me because it hasn't caused any adverse control problems. Next year when I replace the front tire I will probably have the All Balls installed as I was looking to put a shim kit in to get the handlebars up 1 in. I would imagine the All Balls and " their " torque specs on it will give me the same results as " motorgreg ", I hope. And that's all I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've put about 200 miles on my '08 GL (had about 2400 miles on it)

I noticed today that when I go downhill and take my hands off the

handlebars, it has a shimmy...wow, I thought the Goldwings were bulletproof

by now, guess not...anyway,

interesting to see you guys discussing it...

My '02 GL did not have any wobble and was smooth as butter...

I'll take it back to the dealer. It's still in warrenty, but from the sound
of it, that won't matter much...

w

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Scooter. There is no comfort in numbers in this wobble club. Our only hope here is to see our membership dwindle one rider at a time. When we were kids we always rode hands free, why do we get scolded for it now ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess it's good to hear that I am not in this club alone!! But at the same time it's a bad feeling to know that Honda knows there is a problem but reluctant to fix it. Shame, shame, shame. I love my '08 but dissappointed when I put new tires on and have issues. I guess I'll have to try the "All Balls" in hopes I get the same resolution as Motorgreg.

Take the road less ridden.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Seems like most of the complaints I hear about the "Wing wobble" come from riders that have the E3s on their bikes. I haven't heard about the Metzlers, Bridgestone, Avon riders with wobble complaints. I'm happy with the OEM D250 tires (happy enough that I'm doing the whole wheel replacement and a D250 rear) my '09 came with, but I'm putting a 'stone on the front this time. Don't know if my bike has the wobble since I ride with my hands on the bars. I've let go at 70 mph in cruise, but more to see how the bike tracked than seeing if it wobbled (it didn't, but I was over 40mph). I did talk with one of the techs at Honda Canada and he did say that there was some (his words were 'very minor') inherant wobble due to the size, weight and steering geometry of the Wing. That may sound a bit trite, but I've heard riders of other full dress tourers say that they had a front ned/head shake with hands off at low speeds too. If the wobble can be felt through the bars at significant levels at any speed I'd have to say there was a balance, bearing or tire issue of some description.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When Honda came out with the 1800 they put roller bearings in the neck, the 1500 had tapered bearing and had no wobble. You can buy tapered bearings for the 1800 and that will take care of the wobble. New tires will usually cure it for a short time. But putting tapered head bearings will cure it for good.

I HAVE A 94 GL1500 AND IT WOBBLES AROUND 30-40 IF I LET GO OF THE BARS,TO WHERE IT WOULD WRECK IF I DONT GRAB IT BACK. I RUN THE DUNLOP E 3s ON THE FRONT,I HEAR LOTS OF REMEDIES BUT MOST ARE SHORT LIVED. I WILL ADD A FORK BRACE AND REMOUNT THE TIRE {BEFORE CHANGING IT). AND REPORT BACK, -Gary English-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front end wobble

I have a 98 wing with a sidecar that wears tires. It too has a very severe wobble at about 30+km. If you let go of the handlebars it gets uncontrolable. It smooths out with speed.
Garth A

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Garth I'd check hte adjustments on your sidecar mounts. Sounds like something isn't quite right if there's a wobble there. Tire wear with a s/c will definitely have an adverse affect due to the side loading forces imposed by the hack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Front Tire Wobble

My '09 GL1800 had the "wobble" from day-one, with the factory Dunlops. I had E-3s installed at about 12,000 miles, and the wobble continued. At 26,000 miles, the noise from the rear tire was just awful, and the cupping was incredible. Had it with the Dunlops. Went to Bridgestones, and honestly, I cannot MAKE the front end wobble. These are the best tires I've ever run (on my 4th Goldwing). If they get decent mileage, I'll continue to run Bridgestones.:)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Scooter. There is no comfort in numbers in this wobble club. Our only hope here is to see our membership dwindle one rider at a time. When we were kids we always rode hands free, why do we get scolded for it now ?

How is the wobble now that you put the Darkside Kuhmo 195/55/R16 Run Flat on your bike?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well looks like I have join the wobble club as I have a 95 GL1500 with 238000+ kms on it and it has now developed this bad wobble around the 40 to 50 kmh. I have just spent $600.00Au in getting new streering head bearings replaced as well as have two new front brake disc replaced as well as they had well an truely past there used by date.. I run Metzlers ME880's front and rear but have had the rear tyre replaced a month or so ago as I had a blow out coming home from a bike rally back in May 2011 which caused me to crash the bike.. Now I am wondering if it is the front tyre being half stuffed that is causing the problem as I normally replace both tyres at the same time and not when one tyre is stuffed like this time around???? Also I have replaced the rear shocks with Proven Products twin air shocks and I am wondering if they might need to be retightened to the torque setting or maybe I need the rear wheel bearings replaced as I changed the front ones about 4 years ago and have been told they were still good by the mechanic who did the steering head bearings... Also I was wondering maybe I need to have the swingarm bushes/bearings replaced as well as I said the bike is now over 16 years old with 238,000 plus kilometres on it.... Or maybe I should just get the front tyre replaced with a new Metzeler ME880 to fix this problem????

Any help in this matter would be greatfully appreciated....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well after doing a quick ring around the local Honda Goldwing dealers here in Sydney Australia as there is only two stores here one in Lane Cove & the other in Campbelltown they both told me the same thing, yes they all do have a wobble in the front end area even on the lastest 09-10 model 1800 Goldwings. They said I should change the front tyre as this can be part of the problem and if I am using aftermarket steering head bearings which is what they sold me they can be tightern a bit more than the stock steering head bearings. They also told me I should check & tightern or even replace the swingarm bearings as they may be getting past there used by date seeing how old my GL1500 is now as they will sell me a set for $110.00Au plus fitting. They also said that I should also check the tyre pressure on the front and rear tyres as this maybe causing the front end to wobble as well...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts