Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM RIDING A 1987 GL1200 INTERSTATE THAT I RECENTLY PURCHASED USED. I JUST NOTICED THAT WHEN I REMOVE MY HANDS FROM THE HANDLEBARS THERE IS AN INSTANT WOBBLE OF THE WHEEL AND FORK THAT RAPIDLY INCREASES IN INTENSITY AND WOULD CERTAINLY CAUSE A CRASH IF MY HANDS WERE NOT RETURNED TO THE HANDLEBARS. WHEN DRIVING WITH HANDS ON THE HANDLEBARS THERE IS NO INDICATION THAT IT WILL BEGIN WOBBLING SHOULD I REMOVE MY HANDS.
IS THERE ANYONE WHO MAY BE READING THIS HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS SITUATION OR WHAT MIGHT BE DONE TO CORRECT THIS FROM HAPPENING ?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, KEITH

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
404 Posts
Of all the times I've read about this issue, I still don't understand why anyone would remove both hands from the handlebars of a motorcycle...

·
Registered
887 Posts
As 823Jim said, it could be any one of those problems. Check the tires first for excessive cupping. Slightly jack up the front of the bike to get the wheel off the ground. Spin the front wheel and see if the wheel bearings are noisy.
While the front is up, move the handlebars back and forth and see if the steering head feel like there is a notch while moving.
Pull up on the front wheel and see if the stem feels loose. You may be able to re-torque the steering head bearings. It takes two different spanner sockets to do this on a 1200. Without a service manual, to set the torque correctly on the bearings, you willl be just guessing.
I also agree with Tamathumper about not taking your hands off.

·
Super Moderator
14,652 Posts
When my 2010 starts doing that, it's a sign to change my tires. As the front tire wears it cups and when I've replaced it the wobble goes away. Although the other things; stem and wheel bearings could be a problem also.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I've read about that issue, but I have never experienced it on my 2012. From what I've read it mostly happens during deceleration below 40 mph, if this is the case why in the hell would someone take their hands off the handlebars while decelerating, makes no sense to me. Now I have taken my hands off the handlebars while in cruise control at 65 mph.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've had it happen it on my 2012, but only on decel and only if I take my hands off. Not all the time though. I think tires and road may be a factor. Doesn't seem t do it with new tires.
Just hold on and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I remove my hands occasionally for the very purpose of checking the front end. Tire cupping is usually precipitated by another issue so if your tires are worn unevenly or cupped I would investigate that first, otherwise steering head bearings or wheel bearings. Both are easy to check go to Partszilla.com there are some videos there that will walk you through the inspection process and the replacement process if need be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IM RIDING A 1987 GL1200 INTERSTATE THAT I RECENTLY PURCHASED USED. I JUST NOTICED THAT WHEN I REMOVE MY HANDS FROM THE HANDLEBARS THERE IS AN INSTANT WOBBLE OF THE WHEEL AND FORK THAT RAPIDLY INCREASES IN INTENSITY AND WOULD CERTAINLY CAUSE A CRASH IF MY HANDS WERE NOT RETURNED TO THE HANDLEBARS. WHEN DRIVING WITH HANDS ON THE HANDLEBARS THERE IS NO INDICATION THAT IT WILL BEGIN WOBBLING SHOULD I REMOVE MY HANDS.
IS THERE ANYONE WHO MAY BE READING THIS HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS SITUATION OR WHAT MIGHT BE DONE TO CORRECT THIS FROM HAPPENING ?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, KEITH
Hey Keith
I agree with everyone’s suggestions and having owned several wings, all of them did do SOME of the shaking you describe even when there were new tires, steering head bearings tightened, tire pressure correct, etc. the fix For ME was always putting in tapered steering head bearings. And yes, it only manifested when decelerating with both hands off the handlebars for a quick couple of seconds. Cheers! Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts