Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on A metzler front this morning and guess what, the wobble was way worse!!!.
Next step they are going to check the torque on the steering head.
As a side note I asked for and got to ride another wing and there was no wobble ..... hmmm

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
It is amazing how one Wing can wobble and another won't. I've owned a 98 GL1500 SE and a 09 GL1800 Audio and have not ever had a wobble on either one. Others have had wobbles on every Wing they owned. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. (I'm now knocking on wood)..... Hope you get yours fixed. Ride safe..... and wobble free..

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I just bought a Goldwing 1500 and the wobble is kind of scary some times, and other times is gone, I checked the tire pressure this morning and seems to have subsided, fingers cross
Douglas

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Some times the wobble can be caused by the rear tire. Put tapered head bearing in and the wobble will go away,

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Just back from a little trip and no wobble, seems that I got away of the problem just by putting more air in the tires, kind of silly but better than new tires or bearings, fiiiiuuuu

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ptwingmn

Put on A metzler front this morning and guess what, the wobble was way worse!!!.
Next step they are going to check the torque on the steering head.
As a side note I asked for and got to ride another wing and there was no wobble ..... hmmm
I have a 2002 GL1800. I had the wobble which was bad at 40-45 mph. the bike wobbled with stock OEM tires, then Dunlope Elite 3, tried Metzler's and it was worse and took them off immediately. I installed tapered steering head bearings and the wobble was gone forever. Ran sets of Dunlop Elite 3's for first 76,000 miles on the bike with no more wobble. Dunlop is a great tire. I Just installed AVON Cobra's, wow! improved handling and cornering, love them so far, just put on 2900 miles,felt a little loose until they broke in @ about 175 miles. I like them better than the Elite 3's. I also have progressive fork springs, a fork brace, and amsoil synthetic fork oil and I just installed progressive rear shock. Bike handles different but great. Took a little getting used to the new suspension set up and new tires all at the same time. Rides stiffer but is more responsive. Note: I keep the tire pressure up and check it daily when traveling. I assume everyone maintains proper tire inflation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
New Wobble feel

I just had my both tires changed at 15,942 (1st set). I noticed a wobble with the new Elite 3's that I haven't noticed before on the stock set of tires. I guess I will just have to get use to it for now.

What would be a good fix for the wobble on a GL1800 - '08?

Oh, BTW, and my next set of tires will be the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What type of wobble are you guys talking about...is it the wobble you get when you let go of the handle bars or is the wobble there while you drive....I have a 2010 and find no wobble either way...now I only have about 4000 miles on the bike....just curious?

Safe Ride....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Having read way to much on this topic, it seems the best bet is the tappered bearing route. More claim success with that change then anything. And yes, mine gives ya a good ole shake decelerating thru the 40 mph barrier. just learned to hang on for now.:eek:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had major wobble on my 1200 interstate when i bought it and i put new tires on and it was gone!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I fail to understand why Honda does not recall their product to rectify this issue, why should the customer be changing stering head bearings? I have a 01 Wing with and when I bought it last year it had 2000 km's on it. With the stock tires ( Stones) it wobbled when decelerating through 30 mph. I put new Dunlops on the bike and it is just slightly better. Speaking of Dunlops, the Elite 3's are positively scary crossing tar strips in the wet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I fail to understand why Honda does not recall their product to rectify this issue, why should the customer be changing stering head bearings? I have a 01 Wing with and when I bought it last year it had 2000 km's on it. With the stock tires ( Stones) it wobbled when decelerating through 30 mph. I put new Dunlops on the bike and it is just slightly better. Speaking of Dunlops, the Elite 3's are positively scary crossing tar strips in the wet.
Paul...I agree with you...but I do have the answer for you....My honda dealer said honda is aware of it but does not consider it a defect since they believe it only shows up when you take your hands off the handle bars...and they say that is unsafe and not part of bike riding...thus no recall...

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, I took the Wing in for it's 3,000 mile oil change and check-up. Told them we were taking off for Washington D.C. the first week of next month and would you give it the once over. They asked if I was having any problems and I mentioned the only thing was the 40mph decel wobble. They called me back to look at my front tire. Said since we were leaving on such a trip we should replace it to be safe. The bike has 9,300 miles on it and they said it looked like about 4,000 safe miles left give or take, but since tires were included in the maintence agreement they would feel better just changing it. When the dismounted the factory tire they called me again and showed me a back and forth across the center wear pattern that didn't show mounted. Well they installed a new Elite 3 and guess what....NO MORE HEAD SHAKE AT ALL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts