Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new Elite II put on by the dealer, no questions asked (think they have had a few issues?) Drive off and at the first chance get to 62km/hr, put on the cruise and guess what ....... still has the wobble!!!!!
Now they are going to put on a Metzler front tire.
Question: is there a problem with running mixed brands front and rear?
I do not think they will replace the rear with a Metzler free.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As long as they are both radials there is no problem, sometimes the wobble comes from the rear tire, put in tapered head bearings and the wobble will be gone.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Tapered steering bearings seem to be the agreed solution here, but I will add a twist on it. My resident mechanic attributes it to the torque specs from Honda Factory. It's too low in his opinion, which he attributes to Honda wanting to make the steering as easy as possible, while sacrificing stability. If you don't want to spring for the All-Balls yet, have them increase the torque on the steering head when they replace the front tire. I'll be doing the front tire next year along with the torque change. But it would be helpful to ME if you YOU did it first and I could profit from YOUR experience.

·
Registered
905 Posts
To much torque on head bearings causes even more problems! Talk to your Honda dealer and you will find the only right way to fix the wobble is replace bearings. This is a common problem and the only way to solve it without taking the risk of screwing up the handling of your motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
To much torque on head bearings causes even more problems! Talk to your Honda dealer and you will find the only right way to fix the wobble is replace bearings. This is a common problem and the only way to solve it without taking the risk of screwing up the handling of your motorcycle.
The " resident mechanic " I referred to works at a Honda Dealer! Is it the advise of the shop he works at at ? I don't know. Arrrrrg......!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Find another shop NOW! This was explained to me by 2 different Honda shops in my area. They both know I take care of a number of Goldwings and have a very good working relashionship with both. also if your bike is under warrenty he probly does not want to fix it as this takes a lot of time to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a used 2002 GL1800 and the tires were well into wear. The bike had a noticeable wobble that was at anything under 35-40 mpg and with a light grip on the bars she would get swingin. I was told it was a known issue and the former owner gave me the set of bearings he was going to put in.
One day on a week long ride I noticed I had worn out the rear tire....stopped off at the nearest local Honda dealer (who will remain nameless for now) for where I was and had a new set of tires but on......low and behold the wobble was completely gone!

Ive put 5k on these tires since and guess what...ITS BACK!

I was doing the 32k service and had my local dealer look at the wobble. The tech came back to say the former dealer installed a Dunlop E III on the rear and a K177 (GL1500 tire) on the front ( one a radial and the other a bias ply) and that was why I have this wobble again.... and yes, I was told they were putting on the OEM spec tires for a GL1800.....someone screwed the pooch.

I had them replace the front tire with a new E III radial and called the former dealer to bring the issue to their attention ( still on going) but on the way home from the shop tonight it rode like butter!

We will see if the wobble returns and if so its back to install bearings!

In the mean time Im trying to get the former dealer to at least cover my tire replacement.

Good Luck and Ride Safe !

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Find another shop NOW! This was explained to me by 2 different Honda shops in my area. They both know I take care of a number of Goldwings and have a very good working relashionship with both. also if your bike is under warrenty he probly does not want to fix it as this takes a lot of time to do.
The bike is under warranty until Feb.2012. I'm not the original owner of the bike. The '08 was purchased in Feb.09 and sold to me in Nov.09. It was purchased at Shenandoah Honda in Winchester VA. I live in Centreville, about 50 miles away, and have been using Honda of Manassas for a few years now. I have had no contact with Shenandoah Honda , which raises this question about the warranty: Do I need to have warranty work done by the dealer who originally sold the bike ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bike is under warranty until Feb.2012. I'm not the original owner of the bike. The '08 was purchased in Feb.09 and sold to me in Nov.09. It was purchased at Shenandoah Honda in Winchester VA. I live in Centreville, about 50 miles away, and have been using Honda of Manassas for a few years now. I have had no contact with Shenandoah Honda , which raises this question about the warranty: Do I need to have warranty work done by the dealer who originally sold the bike ?
This is from American Honda -

"Is my factory warranty valid at any authorized Honda dealer?
Yes, any Honda dealer that is authorized to sell and service your motorcycle, motor scooter, ATV, PWC or MUV should be able to assist you
."

You should be fine if it is a warrenty issue.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
This is from American Honda -

"Is my factory warranty valid at any authorized Honda dealer?
Yes, any Honda dealer that is authorized to sell and service your motorcycle, motor scooter, ATV, PWC or MUV should be able to assist you
."

Here is where it get's tricky and specific, " should be able....." . And the other part about ligitimate warranty......Is the steering wobble covered ? We all seem to have some aspect of it ( 1800 riders ) but as far as I can tell the solution seems to be corrected with personal funds. If that's what it takes, so be it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
agreed :( .... personal funds.... unfortunately.... will most likely be faster..... but always worth a poke at the local dealer to see what they may or may not be able to do.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
"Pain is a Part of Life .... Misery is an option!" May I revise your signature ? " Paying is a Part of Life.........Miserly is an option of the wife! "

·
Registered
9 Posts
:D I like It ! ..... and so true !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello from the Sunshower State! I was about to post a new question when I saw your topic was eerily similar. I have an '87 1200 with a D404 rear and had a D404 front. I had gone to Bike Week in Daytona a few times in March and noticed my front tire wouldn't hold air and determined it to be valves. Had to cut the front off since it had been tire slimed and I couldn't break the bead any other way. Ok, said all that to say this. Bought a Dunlop 402 off a guy on Craigslist, apparenly there's a much bigger difference between the 404 and 402 than two numbers. Before with the old tire slimed 404 I had no wobble, all was well. After with the 402, bounces like a SOB and I can't take my hands off the bars for a split second before the death wobble begins. I had the tire balanced, replaced wheel bearings, purchased steering bearings (both wheel and steering bearings are all balls) but haven't installed them yet. Since I know I didn't have the wobble before the new tire then it should be caused by the new tire, OR, did the new tire exacerbate a problem that lay dormant until recently with the steering bearings? Any input would be appreciated if anyone stayed awake long enough to get to this last sentence, thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts