Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sept 1st I had my 03 wing in the back of my truck. I was enroute to get some work done on the bike. Well a Semi blew a stop sign and I broad sided the truck. My truck was totaled out. My wing tried to visit me inside the trucks cab. The bike is going to the bike shop, So I asked the repair shop if they had some sort of tool to check to make sure the front end has not been tweaked, they said no. I said well can you tell if the front end has moved 20 or 30 thousanths of a inch? they said no they cannot tell. I asked if they could exray the welds to inspect for any cracks again they said no. What do you other owners feel should be done. I feel that its a raw deal if the bike is not as it was prior to the wreck. Oh by the way I just bought it 7 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
First, welcome to the forum and second, sorry about your truck and Wing. Thankfully you are okay. Regarding your questions about your bike, I would think finding what you are asking would be difficult without sophisticated equipment. Perhaps the dealer does not have that type of equipment. Maybe another one would. I would think a visual check of the frame and other components including electronics should be done.

I would have the bike thoroughly checked out as much as possible and then take it for a test ride(s). Carefully ride and see if you notice anything unusual and then report back to the dealer. Good luck, I hope eveything works out so you can get back to riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi & thanks for your response. The problem is that their is almost certainly going to be undectable damage. the insurance co. wants the bike repaired. I want a bike as it was when it came from the factory. Invisable cracks grow with time. Once the bike has been repaired the insurance co. has no further obligation. Their are no tools for dealers to check for front end damage. The shop must take measurements and that has no gaurantee there is no damage. The reason for the post here is how should I deal with the insurance co.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Take it to a dealer, not just a bike shop.
It doesn't sound like that shop wants anything to do with repairing your bike, find another shop, most shops will charge about 2 hrs. labor to inspect and estimate your damage, but that will be paid by the insurance company. Don't sign anything until your bike is repaired and you have taken it for a ride and everything is as new.

·
Registered
692 Posts
On Sept 1st I had my 03 wing in the back of my truck. I was enroute to get some work done on the bike. Well a Semi blew a stop sign and I broad sided the truck. My truck was totaled out. My wing tried to visit me inside the trucks cab. The bike is going to the bike shop, So I asked the repair shop if they had some sort of tool to check to make sure the front end has not been tweaked, they said no. I said well can you tell if the front end has moved 20 or 30 thousanths of a inch? they said no they cannot tell. I asked if they could exray the welds to inspect for any cracks again they said no. What do you other owners feel should be done. I feel that its a raw deal if the bike is not as it was prior to the wreck. Oh by the way I just bought it 7 weeks ago.
... HOWDY ... CALL ACOUPLE AUTO REPAIR SHOPS AND SEE IF THERE IS A AUTO FRAME SHOP AROUND YOUR AREA ... IF SO TAKE THE BIKE TO THEM FOR AN INSPECTION YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY BUT YOU WOULD HAVE PEACE OF MIND ABOUT THE BIKE ... THESE GUY'S KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR ie: STRESS - TWEEKS ect. ... AND AS JOE MENTIONED SIGN 'NOTHING' UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED ABOUT THE BIKE ... DONT LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY TRY TO PUSH YOU AROUND ... IT'S YOU RIDING THE BIKE NOT THEM ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
About the only way you are going to determine minute problems is by dealing with GMD Computrac. They are the only company I am aware of that can do this kind of detailed check.

http://www.gmd-computrack.com/

·
Registered
470 Posts
Steering bearings?

One thing is sure, it only takes a rather small/light hit to the front end to damage the steering bearings...it's very easy to put "flat" spots on them. That would cause a "notchy" feel when turning the handelbars one way or the other.....if left unrepaired it may result in loss of control...at least it would be harder to steer....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts