Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I am thinking of getting the front wheel on my '10 wing chromed... or buying one. I can't see getting a chrome rear one because you can barely see it. But a question.... should I spend the extra money for a wheel that is barely seen? Will it look that obvious or weird?

Another thing, if I decide to get the front wheel I have chromed are there things to watch out for in selecting someone to do that? What questions would I want to ask? Anyone have a Chrome aftermarket wheel they prefer? I googled some types of those businesses here in the Indianapolis area an spoke to some fellow that seemed nice enough and said he chromed a lot of items for wing owners and could take care of me - but he seemed too eager almost.

Anyway I think a chrome front rim would look very nice on my wing and I am giving it serious consideration.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lakecharles welcome from a damn yankee. From Muncie but now live in Leeds Al. Have polished out my front wheel instead of chroming. Looks great.
thanks Police, but just polishing won't stay as nice will it? Won't it just dull up pretty quickly and won't it take a lot of maintenance to keep it up?

I am just asking....!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
If I was going to get the front wheel chromed, I would do the back as well. I think having it chromed would help in keeping it clean as opposed to the normal aluminum finish which can tarnish and pit pretty fast from the brake dust and stuff in the rear.

Wherever you get them done, I would ask for recommendations of folks who had their's done and I would check them out. When they are done I bet they will look great.. JMHO

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just from experience with other bikes, I'd likely go with a custom billet/chromeplated wheel instead. Then you have a unique look totally. Things to consider though like the TPMS and ballancing etc. Nothing worse on a sweet chrome or custom rim than wheel weights uglying (yeesh, is that even a word?) things up:confused:.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just polished my front with Mothers mag aand aluminum polish and it looks almost as good as chrome but cheaper. This is the best for aluminum. I have tried quite a few and this stuff last a long time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Chrome sounds sweet, but a little rich for me. I also use either Mothers aluminum polish or a product from Phaze One. Finish with a coat of wax, it sparkles nicely, just wipe with a damp cloth or the ever dependable furniture or "honda" polish when cleaning. I only seriously work on my wheels once may be twice a year. Looks great with the ring of fire reflecting off it, hell if I worked on it more it might look like chrome! :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just polished my 09 (CNAVABSXM) on both ends a 2 months ago. Then followed up with Honda Polish to lock it in. I ride in Eastern Washington every day (That doesn't have Ice on the road), rain, snow, goo, and the wheels hold up great. A stop at the car wash to hose off the rims and fender wells now and then, then a we bit of elbow grease and they are good as new. I have TPS too and it would be a pain in the wallet to change out something that you're going to have to do the same cleaning regimen as the originals.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the stock wheels chromed on my 05 wing and I really doubt if I'd do the back wheel again,the dirt stuck to it just like it does with the factory finish with all the nooks and crannies they have to help retain the dirt.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What price did he quote you for chroming the front wheel?
Actually, I did not get a quote on that... but he let me know that whatever I got chromed would be "a lot less" than purchasing it as a new chrome item. He went on to say that he had a lot of Gold wing customers, as well as other motorcycle brands, getting all kinds of things chromed.

I have planned to ask him specifically about costs and I will let you know.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know, maybe what you all are doing... polishing - is the way to go. It seems like it would be very hard to get a piece of aluminum to look like chrome, but I hear of others doing it. Do you have to have electric polishing equipment.... I suppose it would really help - if not be essential.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually, I did not get a quote on that... but he let me know that whatever I got chromed would be "a lot less" than purchasing it as a new chrome item. He went on to say that he had a lot of Gold wing customers, as well as other motorcycle brands, getting all kinds of things chromed.

I have planned to ask him specifically about costs and I will let you know.
Highly appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts