Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice, having picked the bike up from its winter lay up I have noticed that the front brakes feel very spongy, and not sure what could have caused this to happen, as they were fine when I put her to bed so to speak, any thoughts will be much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
May have a little air in the lines. There was a post about something similar on here not too long ago. Do a search and see if it's the same thing and what the outcome was..

·
Registered
751 Posts
Check your caliper slides and brake pad slides as they may have rusted or otherwise seized up enough to spring back leaving a gap between the pads and the rotor and or the caliper to the pads. I have seen many mechanics replace master cylinders due to stuck slides.
Keep it simple perform some basic maintenance on your brakes and it should be fine. If your brake fluid is old flush it out also. Your master cylinder and calipers can also get gummed up from the old fluid and once you apply the brakes your are forcing the piston and seals across this mess which could also lead to either no brakes or spongy feeling brakes. All due to lack of maintenance. I am not saying this is the case with your bike but if you haven't keep up with these things even if you don't ride much they can cause you more head aches then if you had.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Depending on how long ago it was that the brakes were bled and flushed you can try the poor man brake bleed. , in the hand brake pump up and tie the lever in. and left it set over night. On the foot brake pump up and hang a gallon og water off the peddle. over night.
If it been a while since serviced have them serviced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts