Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1981 Interstate that the front brake calipers will rub when applied and let off, thus locking down and making unrideable. I have rebuilt the mastercylinder and rebuilt calibers. I think the rotors are warped. Is there a place to get everything I need to fix this cheap? Bike runs great and right now I bleed front brakes and dont use so I can ride....but its not the safest ride right now.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
have you tried ebay for some used rotors

·
Registered
904 Posts
Again, Make sure the little hole in the master cylinder reservoir is clean. This is the fluid release hole when lever is let all the way out. THE MOST OVERLOOKED PROBLEM WITH BRAKES DRAGGING!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
+1 on the little hole in the MC need to be cleaned out......get some piano wire to run through the hole to clean it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned it out. Thanks for the tip. Still didnt fixing the rubbing. Safe to say the rotors are warped. I found a guy selling a complete front wheel with rotors, calipers, etc. His bike is a '75. Do any of those components carry over to a '81?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer previous questions:

The wheel was not off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another thing to check is to be sure that the MC piston is returning fully. A partially depressed MC piston will block the fluid return hole.

Another is to be sure that the MC is not overfull causing the brakes to be applied as the fluid heats and expands.

I cleaned it out. Thanks for the tip. Still didnt fixing the rubbing. Safe to say the rotors are warped. I found a guy selling a complete front wheel with rotors, calipers, etc. His bike is a '75. Do any of those components carry over to a '81?

·
Registered
3 Posts
same ppoblem with my 1980 interstate front brakes draging master cylinder over hauld same for callapers. did change of rotors help J STONES would appreciate any help!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not change the rotors out yet. Ive tried everything shown here. I am contemplating rebuilding the Master Cylinder yet again... any new thoughts from anyone?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Have you actually checked the runout variance of the rotors? If they are warped even a little it will be measurable and also noticeable with free spinning the front wheel slowly with it elevated. There would be a noticeable pulse in the rotation of the wheel and rotor with very little pressure from the caliper(s). Not saying, just saying.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 1981 Interstate that the front brake calipers will rub when applied and let off, thus locking down and making unrideable. I have rebuilt the mastercylinder and rebuilt calibers. I think the rotors are warped. Is there a place to get everything I need to fix this cheap? Bike runs great and right now I bleed front brakes and dont use so I can ride....but its not the safest ride right now.
I had a similar problem and we found out, for sure the rotors were warped. I jacked up the front end and rotated the wheel. It would stop when the warped spot on the rotor came to the calipers. I ended up ordering four different rotors from ebay before I got the right one. I had an excellent mechanic install it and adjust the calipers. We also had to rebuild the caliper assembly because the rubber parts were ruined from the disc overheating (that was warped them in the first place). You can't buy parts from Honda so check the motorcycle salvage places mentioned in our forums. Check eBay but look carefully at your rotor (probably your left front) and what they show. Verify with them that it has the "L" stamped into it, and that the design is exactly like yours or it won't fit. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Have you actually checked the runout variance of the rotors? If they are warped even a little it will be measurable and also noticeable with free spinning the front wheel slowly with it elevated. There would be a noticeable pulse in the rotation of the wheel and rotor with very little pressure from the caliper(s). Not saying, just saying.;)
+1 = Trust but verify!

I once knew a guy whose brakes stuck because the pins and springs the pads travel on were pinched or something and had no anti-sieze grease on them (pins) so they just hung up instead of travelling freely.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Might tyr and see if a member of this site has some used rotors to buy. Goes by the handle "Cantankerous" He has aprted out bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts