Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to take my front wheel off my 2014 Goldwing and get it re-balanced. Can anyone tell me the torque setting for the axle nut and the fork pinch bolts?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
The pinch bolts is 16ft/lb. and the axle bolt is 44ft/lb.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Font Number Rectangle Screenshot Circle

Reactions: P.J. Scherer

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Was riding the bike the other night and hit a large hole. Rode the bike today and noticed a wobble/vibration at 25-35 mph. No vibration that I can feel above that speed. Checked rim for dents, spun wheel, and checked tire. All seems to be okay. There is one little stick on balance weight still on rim. I am hoping that there was another weight that came off when I hit hole. Going to take wheel off and take to get rebalanced. Cheaper if I take wheel off myself and get it back same day. Take bike in and let them remove it and I don't get bike back for one week and it costs $75.00. Plus, this will let me look at the brake pads.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
You will need to remove one of the brake calipers as well. I could never remove the wheel with out removing one of them.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thanks, I will probably remove both of them.
You only have to remove the right one. Make sure you set the gap on the left caliper before tightening the bolts.
Since the 2014 did not come with a tool kit, you'll have to use the correct gauge.
The instructions say .28 inches. It's actually .028

Font Rectangle Parallel Terrestrial plant Circle

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I only remove the right caliper, will I only have to check the bracket clearance on the right one or still check both sides after re-installing?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Was riding the bike the other night and hit a large hole. Rode the bike today and noticed a wobble/vibration at 25-35 mph. No vibration that I can feel above that speed. Checked rim for dents, spun wheel, and checked tire. All seems to be okay. There is one little stick on balance weight still on rim. I am hoping that there was another weight that came off when I hit hole. Going to take wheel off and take to get rebalanced. Cheaper if I take wheel off myself and get it back same day. Take bike in and let them remove it and I don't get bike back for one week and it costs $75.00. Plus, this will let me look at the brake pads.
did you look over the rear tire?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have examined both tires and both rims. There is nothing obvious to the eye. The vibration only started happening after I hit the hole. I don't think that I have damaged a wheel or a tire. Hoping it is just a balance weight coming off. The wobble/vibration is in the handlebars and only at certain speeds. Speeds above 40 ish, no problem. Bike was smooth as glass before hitting hole. I hate riding at night!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After much thought, I took the bike into a Honda dealer 80 plus miles away that I have had good luck with in the past. A thought kept bothering me. The bike vibrated worse two up that it did with just me riding it up to the mailbox. My wife said she could feel it in the rear floorboards. Sure enough, the mechanic found a "knot" in the rear tire. You had to put it on a lift and run your hand on the tire as it was being rotated. Dealer finally found a rear tire in NC. Should be here in FL. Thursday. I am glad the tire didn't blow! Assume I damaged the belt/cord when I hit the hole. Tire was Bridgestone Exdera Max that was four years old.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
After much thought, I took the bike into a Honda dealer 80 plus miles away that I have had good luck with in the past. A thought kept bothering me. The bike vibrated worse two up that it did with just me riding it up to the mailbox. My wife said she could feel it in the rear floorboards. Sure enough, the mechanic found a "knot" in the rear tire. You had to put it on a lift and run your hand on the tire as it was being rotated. Dealer finally found a rear tire in NC. Should be here in FL. Thursday. I am glad the tire didn't blow! Assume I damaged the belt/cord when I hit the hole. Tire was Bridgestone Exdera Max that was four years old.
worked for a number of years part time at a Goodyear store.......
yep.... good ole curb check does the same thing
and sometimes...... it takes a couple of days for the air to seep between the layers for the knot to appear or for the tread to start to look crooked from a seperation.

I too am glad you made it safely

I had one bloat up after severely over loading the bike with books

Reactions: Limpy45
1 - 15 of 15 Posts