Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the form. Looking at getting a 2010 Gold Wing in the next few days. I was wondering, how many miles can I go before my first oil change, and if i do the oil change myself will it void the warranty? Also after that when should I go in for my next service? Any help in this matter sure would be helpful.
Thanks again
Ray
Jacksonville, Fla

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't wait to hear the responses too...
I just purchased my first GoldWing too.
Welcome to the forum from NE PA

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. First oil change (according to the mfg.) is due at 4k and every 8k after that. Changing the oil yourself will not void the warranty. Save the reciept for the oil and filter.

Many owners change the oil more frequently and you are going to get a lot of different opinions on frequency and type of oil. My thoughts are if Honda says you can go 8k on regular dino oil, then anything up to that is fine for the engine. Not many engine problems with the Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
wrmjax welcome to the site. I changed my oil at 4000 miles myself and like two wheel wing I kept my reciept for everything in a folder in-case I have a problem in the future. For what they charge to do a service I just got a tech manual and went to work. :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome wrmjax. There's other ways to do it posted in threads here, but the pages in the back of the owners manual makes a good maintenance diary. Record the date, mileage and service performed and if nothing else, then you know what is done and when. Highly recommend the Honda shop manual too.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As said before, first oil change is at 4,000, your dealer might tell you to bring it back for a 500 or 600 miles service, tell him to show you where that's in the service book, it's not. Now that being said. most of us change the oil ourselves. I did mine at 500 miles just to get any metal shavings if any, out of the motor. Just piece of mind and old habits are hard to break. I also changed the final drive fluid at 500 miles and I change it every other oil change. I change my oil at 3,000 miles interval but if you go by the book than that is to often, Again, old habits are hard to break. As two wheel wing said, you probably will have to look long and hard to find an oil related motor problem on the Gold Wing.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Welcome wyrjax to the forum where the members know everything.

Question for Joe, "What is the final drive fliud?" Don't laugh at the question because I know where the gas goes.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Welcome wyrjax to the forum where the members know everything.

Question for Joe, "What is the final drive fliud?" Don't laugh at the question because I know where the gas goes.
I'm not " joe " but he authorized me to speak in his absence. The " final drive fluid " is the differential gear lube in the rear wheel.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum from Satellite Beach, FL
wrmjax,
always read the owners manual and if you're fussy like I am you'll probably want all the metal particles out of the engine after 500 miles. I'm from the old school I change the oil every 2500 miles.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Thanks Chopin - You speak very well for other people.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello wyrjax and welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
My local riding partner " Rapier " brought his 10' in for the 8,000 mile " scheduled maintenance ". After all was said and paid for, he is pretty sure all he got was a $200.00 + oil change. Rapier now brings his bike to chopin114's house for his oil change and it costs him nothing more than the oil and filter. P.S.Wing Stuff sells a magnetic drain plug that may aid in trapping those little metal shavings:http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/746_goldwing_Drain_Plugs/des/

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
$200 oil change or have you do the work while having to listen to your stories. Seems to work great for Rapier.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Hi I'm new to the form. Looking at getting a 2010 Gold Wing in the next few days. I was wondering, how many miles can I go before my first oil change, and if i do the oil change myself will it void the warranty? Also after that when should I go in for my next service? Any help in this matter sure would be helpful.
Thanks again
Ray
Jacksonville, Fla
Well???? Have you got the bike yet? I got ask today, "Is that the best you could do for a motorcycle?" My response was "Yes because they dont make anything else better." Let us know!!! :D:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the reply's. Picked up the bike on Wedsday. Heading to Deals Gap this evening. Time for the twistes to see how well she handles!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts