Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the wife have 3 full days to head in any direction we want from the Atlanta area....no plans or reservations, just get on and ride !!! plus we are trying to get a few states checked off our "been there" map....

any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Wow, You will no doubt get a big spread of differences on this question. Not knowing any info as to your likes, where you've been already etc etc. I will just offer this tried & trued website.

www.motorcycleroads.us

Good Luck & Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Wow, three days to ride, hmmm……
This time of year I would suggest the mountains for some cooler weather. Although be sure to stop often and keep hydrated. Like Fossil said it will depend on your experience level and desires. But I would think about:

Short answer; north.

Long answer;

Maggie Valley, NC is only 200 miles from Atlanta and a great place to base out of. From here you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway or many of the other great roads in that area. Head up to Hot Springs, NC for a great ride on Hwy 209; as good as the Dragon for a twisty road without the traffic. One place to check out in Maggie Valley is the Wheels Through Time museum. They have an incredible number of older motorcycles and I highly recommend it.

The Blue Ridge Parkway itself is a great road to ride. That will take you up into Virginia.

Or head up into West Virginia. I highly recommend Hwy 219.

Or all the above: Day one a combination of Interstates and highways up to Wytheville, Va. Day two ride up into Southeast West Virginia and then across into Kentucky, maybe stopping at Pineville for the night. Day three head home via the Cumberland Gap and stay east of Knoxville along the Smoky Mountains.

Try Google Map, type in where you want to go and move the route around to see how different road combinations work for time and distance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sort of leaning to the southwest.....

experienced rider, just new to Goldwings...this will be our first attempt at anything more than an "excursion"....

leaning towards heading towards Pensacola fl, then on thru Mobile Al, into Mississippi and maybe into the tip of louisiana before doubling back , up thru central alabama......

because my wife is a true "holler-monkey" from West Virginia, we have seen many many many many many a back road there......she really wants to see what the Gulf coast beaches really look like, and try and find out why people flock to that area........

·
Registered
253 Posts
This here is a wise man.... He knows of what he speaks!:)

Wow, three days to ride, hmmm……
This time of year I would suggest the mountains for some cooler weather. Although be sure to stop often and keep hydrated. Like Fossil said it will depend on your experience level and desires. But I would think about:

Short answer; north.

Long answer;

Maggie Valley, NC is only 200 miles from Atlanta and a great place to base out of. From here you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway or many of the other great roads in that area. Head up to Hot Springs, NC for a great ride on Hwy 209; as good as the Dragon for a twisty road without the traffic. One place to check out in Maggie Valley is the Wheels Through Time museum. They have an incredible number of older motorcycles and I highly recommend it.

The Blue Ridge Parkway itself is a great road to ride. That will take you up into Virginia.

Or head up into West Virginia. I highly recommend Hwy 219.

Or all the above: Day one a combination of Interstates and highways up to Wytheville, Va. Day two ride up into Southeast West Virginia and then across into Kentucky, maybe stopping at Pineville for the night. Day three head home via the Cumberland Gap and stay east of Knoxville along the Smoky Mountains.

Try Google Map, type in where you want to go and move the route around to see how different road combinations work for time and distance.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
experienced rider, just new to Goldwings...this will be our first attempt at anything more than an "excursion"....

leaning towards heading towards Pensacola fl, then on thru Mobile Al, into Mississippi and maybe into the tip of louisiana before doubling back , up thru central alabama......
I have a friend that really likes Port St. Joe, FL. But anywhere from there to Gulf Shores, AL has a very nice beach. Lots of condos and hotels to stay at. There is a ferry from Fort Morgan across Mobile Bay to Dauphin Island that is neat on a motorcycle. From there head up to Hwy 90 and into Mississippi. I lived on the west side of that coast for many, many years. A great local restaurant for seafood is McElroy's in Ocean Springs. Or for some of the best BBQ try The Shed at Hwy 57 and I-10, motorcycle parking is behind the junk on your left just as you turn in. Be sure to stop on 90 in Biloxi at the lighthouse. They put it there before the eastbound side of the highway was constructed as a breakwater to the south of it. Take Hwy 57 north to Hwy 98 then jump west to continue north on Hwy 15. You can take that north as you want until you head east into Alabama. If you want more specifics about good roads in Mississippi let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts