Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from meeting up with a couple of Darksiders in Winchester, VA. My local buddy Don and I rode up there to trade our Kumho's in on a Michelin Alpin PA3 Run Flat 195/55R16. Different ride for sure. We've gone from a performance tire to a highway tire. It's lighter on its feet, meaning it takes less steering input to flick it around. Much closer to a motorcycle tire in responsiveness. As a highway tire it does have an aggressive tread pattern compared to the Kuhmo's performance rating , which translated to me into more vibration than I have been use to for the last 13,000 miles. For my " touring " style of riding , my aggressive Darksider mentors felt this to be the best overall tire. Now let's ride.

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
So, it feels more like a Harley? :Damn:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
How about a comparison between mounting the Kuhmo on the rim and the Alpin on the rim? Did you use a manual changer or air operated shop changer? I thought it was a brute to get on. :knockknock: Isaac

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a comparison between mounting the Kuhmo on the rim and the Alpin on the rim? Did you use a manual changer or air operated shop changer? I thought it was a brute to get on. :knockknock: Isaac
We took the rims to a local tire shop. It was , of course, done on a professional machine. $10 a tire. Both the Kuhmo and Michelin are run flats. Muscling up into the well was the hardest part for us. Have to get it in just the right position and then use your foot as a battering ram. We of course did the lay the bikes over technique.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
:fiddler::angrysoapbox:I hope your new tire works for you like it has worked for me there big guy safe riding and I can't wait to see it shortly we must do breakfast

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
:fiddler::angrysoapbox:I hope your new tire works for you like it has worked for me there big guy safe riding and I can't wait to see it shortly we must do breakfast

Now you're talking!:pokeit:

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Just got back from meeting up with a couple of Darksiders in Winchester, VA. My local buddy Don and I rode up there to trade our Kumho's in on a Michelin Alpin PA3 Run Flat 195/55R16. Different ride for sure. We've gone from a performance tire to a highway tire. It's lighter on its feet, meaning it takes less steering input to flick it around. Much closer to a motorcycle tire in responsiveness. As a highway tire it does have an aggressive tread pattern compared to the Kuhmo's performance rating , which translated to me into more vibration than I have been use to for the last 13,000 miles. For my " touring " style of riding , my aggressive Darksider mentors felt this to be the best overall tire. Now let's ride.
:popcorn:With the more vibration I think that will go away after a little use, did you get the winter.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:popcorn:With the more vibration I think that will go away after a little use, do you get the winter.
I got the winter with the symmetrical tread pattern. I agree, the vibes are already diminishing. They weren't bad vibes, just my first impression of the ride home. I think I can drop my suspension level a bit on this tire. I've been running it at max on the Kuhmo.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I got the winter with the symmetrical tread pattern. I agree, the vibes are already diminishing. They weren't bad vibes, just my first impression of the ride home. I think I can drop my suspension level a bit on this tire. I've been running it at max on the Kuhmo.
:meme:I know you said last year you ran at 25, I run 13 and 19 two up and 32 psi and this tire can through a little snow when you play in it.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Here's what a Goldwing game of " Simon Says " looks like.

If your tire would have been on at this point it would look like you both had an IDMWT moment.:Suspicious:

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Between the tire changes and the OOPS! I'm an expert at picking up my bike.
Funny how what seems to be a real issue at 1st becomes second nature when needed.:gah:

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny how what seems to be a real issue at 1st becomes second nature when needed.:gah:
Heck. I had to pick it up last night in the middle of the road. I should have got home before dark. Tuned one of the last corners before my block and hit some sand gravel. Twisted ankle and bruised pride. Nothing on the bike except where the crash bars slid on the assfault. Worse thing, my phone broke off my belt case. I didn't check to see if it was there until I got home. Drove back in the car and there it was in the driving lane. Must have got run over a few times. It still works but the Home screen button doesn't work.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Heck. I had to pick it up last night in the middle of the road. I should have got home before dark. Tuned one of the last corners before my block and hit some sand gravel. Twisted ankle and bruised pride. Nothing on the bike except where the crash bars slid on the assfault. Worse thing, my phone broke off my belt case. I didn't check to see if it was there until I got home. Drove back in the car and there it was in the driving lane. Must have got run over a few times. It still works but the Home screen button doesn't work.
WTH....PM Sent

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.