Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought myself and wife frogtogs and would not recomend them to anyone riding a motorcycle. They wick through the seat even in a drizzel. Both of our suites did the same thing. :mad:I tested mine in 3 light to moderate rainstorms with the same results. In a test with a cup of water sitting on the suite overnite there was no leakage at all. But when putting a kleenwex in the suite and a weight on the outside the kleenex was danp the next day. Our rides were from 20 minutes to 3 hours.
Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ya, I know what you mean.... That's why some guys wear water proof shorts under them. Which kind of defeats the purpose me thinks...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Frog togs are great for anything but riding a bike! When you sit, you stress out the seams and lets moisture thru.
The make a model called "Road Toads" that are twice as tough and work well on the bike. I know because both the wife and I own them. Know what you are buying before you knock the entire company.
The road toads work well for riding. Regular frog togs work well for standing in the rain.

I suggest you look into the road toads or go out and purchase real rain gear at 5 times the cost.

I can say from personal experience that the road toads do work well, especially for the low cost of $50 a set @ Academy.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
buyarbi,

Stop messing around & buy yourself these. We've had ours for 6 years now & have no issue whatsoever. Plenty of ventilation so you can wear them even if it's a bit warm. We opted for the 2 piece suits for the ease to put on & the little lady sometimes will just wear the pants to cut down on the wind on a cool morning & with all due respect to my esteemed colleauge Buzzy not 5 times the cost of a Togg. "Made for motorcycle riders by motorcycle riders."

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Elite-Series-II-2-Piece-Rainsuit-Jacket-p-84_8.html

·
Registered
466 Posts
As William Shatner would say "Well played Naomi Price, Well played!"
Those are much cheaper than I though and I guess I was a little off on the price thing.
I don't know where the OP is or where he rides but I could not wear those tour masters down here in Texas! The primary reason for me choosing the Road Toads was it's light weight and it's ability to breath while still keeping water out. Even in a Downpour here in Texas, it is still sweltering hot. Wearing that stuff would be like riding in a dutch oven!

buyarbi,

Stop messing around & buy yourself these. We've had ours for 6 years now & have no issue whatsoever. Plenty of ventilation so you can wear them even if it's a bit warm. We opted for the 2 piece suits for the ease to put on & the little lady sometimes will just wear the pants to cut down on the wind on a cool morning & with all due respect to my esteemed colleauge Buzzy not 5 times the cost of a Togg. "Made for motorcycle riders by motorcycle riders."

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Elite-Series-II-2-Piece-Rainsuit-Jacket-p-84_8.html

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Bought my frogg toggs® as an emergency purchase off a clearance rack.The jacket zipper is trashed but thank goodness it has front snaps. They are good enough for my day excursions, but if I were going to do some serious cross country miles I would leave the frogg toggs® at home.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Buzz,

Last year while riding in between Amarillo & Tucumcari on our trip the Little lady & I had to don them for probably 40-60 miles. Temp was about 95 or so & we were fine, of course we were on I-40 an moving. I will say when we stopped (once for fuel, & at Tucumcari) it didn't take long to be warm so I see your point and it is well taken.

I don't think OP will have that issue though. Can't imagine many 90+ days in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan. At least that's what his profile says.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have both, frogtogs and Tourmaster, the togs are a lot lighter and I wear them most of the time when it rains, They are at least 10 years old and still work great, I like them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I almost pick-up the Frog Togs at the bike show in Toronto, glad I tripped over this thread. As far as Tourmaster, I haven't had very good luck with them, I ordered a pair of water proof boots, Tourmaster 2.0.
I paid for them, then I got a message they weren't available..huh?
I got another message that they would be available in 2 wks, so I waited..then another 2 wks..I waited 6 wks and asked for a refund. I did get a refund the next day,but, oddly enough..they are STILL listed as "in stock" on their web site.
So, I have no interest in any of their products. I don't get how they take your money, stall for wks..say they AREN'T available..BUT are still listing them as available & selling them on their web site:confused:
I know they were advertizing on this site, that's how I ordered them in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Buzzy
The suite my wife has is a road toad and it leaked the worst. Sorry to rain on your parade. The test I did with a weight in the shop had no stress on the seams . Only the weight on the suite. I guess if that is stress you better be a feather weight on the bike with your ass flapping in the wind so as not to STRESS THE SEAMS.
Bill

·
Registered
466 Posts
Buzzy
The suite my wife has is a road toad and it leaked the worst. Sorry to rain on your parade. The test I did with a weight in the shop had no stress on the seams . Only the weight on the suite. I guess if that is stress you better be a feather weight on the bike with your ass flapping in the wind so as not to STRESS THE SEAMS.
Bill
All I know is I have had no problems with the few times we have been caught in the rain. The worste was maybe 50 miles or so of constant rain. We got to Austin, the rain stopped and we peeled the road toads off and we were dry as a fart. We had a damp arse from the heat and sweating just like riding down here on a dry hot day but that did not come from the rain.

As with anything, your milage may vary but my experience with them has been great.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I just bought a set of Frog Togs for me and the little lady. There sure seems to be a mixed bag of reviews about them. I look forward to trying them for ourselves and will report back when we've hit some rain in them... while I don't purposefully go out to ride in the rain, I just might do that just to test these before I'm a 1000 miles away from home and find out they are junk!

The main reason I bought them is because they are light weight, and seem to breathe well. I get so hot in my poly rain gear... BUT they are water PROOF!

·
Registered
466 Posts
The wet arse is the whole problem and the only problem
Are you sure it is Rain getting your arse wet? I know for a fact that my problem is just plain old monkey butt, sweat making our bums wet. Reason I know is we put on the togs one day when it looked like we were going to get rained on. But we managed to ride right along the edge of the stom and never got wet. Soon as we got the rain gear off, our arses (and everything else, was damp or wet from sweating in that rain gear, especially the arse area.
Keep in mind this was in South Texas on a 95f day and 80% humidity. Your area may be different and I do not know what temps you rode in with the frog togs.

But bottom line here is, if your not happy with them then try something else. I understand that all products do not work for all people. I hope you find a solution to your problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Frog Togs are for the summer rides and do great for that. Mostly so I can stop down the road and not look like a wet dog just a damp one while waiting out the big rains. Everything else is like a plastic bag which I will sweat up so I may as not even wear a suit since I already look like sweat dog. I like the TOGs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Must be new FroggToggs mine are 6 years old and trust me they have been in rain where you could only see 10 feet in front of you and I was dry. The new crap must be made in China

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Buzzy I also have a set of the Road Toads and purchased them from Academy because they were light weight. But after my first rain storm on the way home I looked like a Road Toad once I stripped them off! If they also are made for only standing well you better be under an umbrella!:eek::eek::mad:

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I have both the Frogg Toggs and a Tour King. For most of the riding the FT's are okay, but I have gotten a little wet in some gully washer storms. Not so much from wicking, but around the collar and cuffs on the arms. I do like them because they are light and they breath so you can wear them in light rain and not sweat to death.

I purchased the Tour King used from a guy on another board (used once) and I've not been caught in a downpour yet so I can't attest to its serviceability, but from all reports I've read it should work well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts