Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got on my first ever mbike 4 y ago at the midlife crisis age of 47. Infact I wanted a big scooter as i saw a pile of piaggio x9s in Paris with leather cowlings and lots of switches (can you see where this is going)....

I had already seen the goldwing light parade in blackpool (im in uk) and decided that motorbikes were for nutters (thats my mother talking) and goldwings for rich nutters...and illuminated goldwings well....

but you know midlife crises, they change you. I got my bike ticket and bought a sensible bike - a honda deauville. its taken two of us across spain - and i think riding is fun (even if i dont scrape the pegs on the corners or scare the chickens)

The thing is, i looked at a GL1500 yesterday fully loaded coupleof holes in the leatther (did the pillion smoke!!) and 42k on clock - for a shade under £5k -quite expensive but from a dealer. D*mn I wanted it. But its so goddam big!

The 125shadow i started with felt huge when i got it. The deauville the same- both shrunk away with use. Im half thinking i should get a pan first... but i want a goldwing (turns out I just didnt realise) but keep the dv for work...

Talk me out of it guys! Thoughts?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'd never talk ye out of it, I'd be a total numpty for doing that. The Wings carry the weight well, but it does take some getting used to, especially at low speed maneuvers. You can likely dicker the dealer down, given the date on the calendar (riding season is getting a tad thin here and there). Good luck and welcome to the forum clwydian!

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF clwydian. the last thing i'll do is talk you out of getting a goldwing

·
Registered
835 Posts
Not too many of us here mate that are going to talk you out of the 1500. It's hardly broken in at 42k as you can see by the threads in this forum. My 1500 has 165k and runs like a top. My wife would get rid of me if I got rid of the bike.
Ya, they're freighters but on the open road you can't beat them.
Good luck and ride safe,
Strat

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Not my job to talk you out of a Goldwing. But I will welcome you to the forum from Pennsylvania, USA.. I think you are talking yourself into buying one. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.. Nice folks and good information on here...

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
We are at an age where we have realized that "settling" for something else just costs more in the long run to buy it and resell it at a loss. Then you finally go get what you wanted in the first place. We are also old enough to know that the clocks a ticking so get that wing and be happy. You won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi UK guy

Hi thar' matey, Nope, whar eyd be a virtual nutter ta talk ya outta a wing. None of us would ever do that. So its 5K quid for a 1500, how much for an 01, 1800 ? Shop around you will NOT be wasting your time. BTW how did the deauville work out w 2 up ? If u find an 02 - 04 be sure the frame recall has been preformed.

Did you get to Belchite?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

I didnt buy it.... much too big, but about 18/12 ago I bought one with cosmetic issues off ebay unseen - a 2001 model SEN

Well the cosmetics were dodgy - it seems to be three different colours under the black - but that was the best bit!

All rubbers were shot. no breather pipe, front brakes built so that braking flexed the pads, non standard fasteners througout, the faulty bank angle sensor (that was fun) and boiled over during a parade- new radiators and thermostat from the US....

Two new tyres later.

Took this photo last night

CB radio (illegal over here but bust anyway)
Stereo surround sound tape deck/FM
Reverse gear
Cruise control
Huge panniers
Big (US) screen - needs a wiper real bad

And she handled the bumper to bumper prom illuminations traffic sweet as a nut.

:)
Still have the deauville - which now feels as light a pushbike...

Perfik!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Looks like yer sorted pretty well from the pic, glad to see ya back here & with a Wing to boot! Might want to check the VIN though, looks like a 2000 to me; '01 brought in the 1800's debut.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
Glad to see you got a Wing.

+1 On what budoka said about the VIN.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice wing, enjoy riding it.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Congrats and have fun. Nice looking Wing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts