Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Larry, did you figure out a way to use the invisible button for your pics?:confused:;)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i don't remember what company is making the 4 wheel wings but i do remember reading that some states will not license them as motorcycles

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Well, it would certainly put a decisive end to the C/T debate;) I see definite possibiites for handicapped riders/wannabes who don't really like a three wheel alternative. Hope Dave gets the bugs out and the FEDS don't get a bee in their arse over them.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I think you're talking about the Hannigan Trikes Quadracycle

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Well, it would certainly put a decisive end to the C/T debate;) I see definite possibiites for handicapped riders/wannabes who don't really like a three wheel alternative. Hope Dave gets the bugs out and the FEDS don't get a bee in their arse over them.
What bugs would that be???????
The story I was told, while touring the plant, was the front was developed to put a front or reverse trike on the market. It did not wotk out as intended(what ever that means?)
So, you must also purchase the rear trike conversion to be allowed to purchase the front
http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/xSpecsPDF/HRT-Spacs.pdf

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Appaerently Dave isn't quite happy with the postioning of the front end (geometry and handling quirks) so he's still refining it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Hanningan had that bike several years back at Wing Ding in Billings Mt. I got to test drive it but only in a good size parking lot so I really couldn't get a feel for it but I would say it was hard to steer and really felt weird. I also rode the Stallion, now that was fun!! And it's only $30,000

·
Registered
174 Posts
Converting to four wheels could open up an entire can of worms. First, it would no longer qualify as a motorcycle, at least in California. That being said, several things would happen. The vehicle would then fall under DOT requirements for a car such as airbags, three point seatbetls front and rear, just to name a few. It would probably wind up causing things to change to the extent of not worth it. But, what do I know?

·
Registered
174 Posts
You know, I knew that was going to open a can of worms.

I would guess the systems you mentioned might squeek by because two of the four wheels can be removed, leaving just a two wheeled motorcycle.

The configuration we are looking at does not lend itself to that. The system as seen in the pictures clearly has a wheel perminently installed at four corners of the vehicle. IN CALIFORNIA the vehicle code describes a motorcycle as a vehicle with two or three wheels. That allows trikes, trike conversions and vehicles like the can-am to remain motorcycles. I believe a case could be made, and if there is any money in it for the state, for these vehicles to fall out of the description of a motorcycle. I think that if/when that happened the state could make a case that the vehicle must conform to all of the DOT regulations. That could include seat belts, air bags and any number of regulations.

I was only a cop for 36 years, what do I know. I will not say more so let the blood letting begin. Oh by the way, remember that I did not say I agreed with this sentiment, just making an observation.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hanningan had that bike several years back at Wing Ding in Billings Mt. I got to test drive it but only in a good size parking lot so I really couldn't get a feel for it but I would say it was hard to steer and really felt weird. I also rode the Stallion, now that was fun!! And it's only $30,000
That looks like fun. For 30,000, it should have dual bucket seats and air conditioning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts