Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i receved the sad news that my grandmother passed away in Savannah Georgia. By five o'clock that night i had my wing registered and fully covered and I was bound down I95 south to Savannah. by midnight that night i was sleeping in a motorcycle popup at a truckstop outside of DC. I would have been their earlier except for the two and a half hours of hell on the Jersey turnpike. by noon the next day i was off again finally reaching Savannah therty minutes befor the viewing ended for my grandmother. after spending a day down south loving some good old fashioned southern cooking and a cajun funeral. my trip back north started though i had some lovely rain riding lol. another night in the popup outside of dc and in rhode island late the next night. for a grand total of 3669 miles put on my new to me wing. great ride except for when the temp spiked. it was hot but between the iced coffee's and the water i kept cool. i dont know if this qualifies me for iron but. though my seat is really comfy.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Charlaine,

Sorry for your loss.

Congratulations on airing out your nu2u Wing. I'm not in the IBA, but they might have a category for you. Let's see, Iron Butt, Saddlesore, and BunBurner...what's next? "Flat*ss"? "HineyPounder"? I'm sure they'll come up with something. IBALEE is the expert around here on (outrageously) long riding!:p

You are a tough lady! Hoo-Rah!

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks hun that means alot. you know i dont know about bun burner but how about calf toaster as the heat coming off the left side makes it really toasty and the vents dont help

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by the way i wish there was a way to flip the highway boards up when your stuck in stop and go traffic as i found them to make keeping the bike stable awkward at times

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Congrats on the great ride, but sympathies for your loss. The newer Kuryakin boards do flip up, but I remember my old ones just had enough movement to tilt in the event of a tipover.

G

·
last week i receved the sad news that my grandmother passed away in Savannah Georgia. By five o'clock that night i had my wing registered and fully covered and I was bound down I95 south to Savannah. by midnight that night i was sleeping in a motorcycle popup at a truckstop outside of DC. I would have been their earlier except for the two and a half hours of hell on the Jersey turnpike. by noon the next day i was off again finally reaching Savannah therty minutes befor the viewing ended for my grandmother. after spending a day down south loving some good old fashioned southern cooking and a cajun funeral. my trip back north started though i had some lovely rain riding lol. another night in the popup outside of dc and in rhode island late the next night. for a grand total of 3669 miles put on my new to me wing. great ride except for when the temp spiked. it was hot but between the iced coffee's and the water i kept cool. i dont know if this qualifies me for iron but. though my seat is really comfy.

From your place to Savannah Georgia is about 1050 Miles ,same as from my place In NJ to Edgewater FL where I’m now.
Round trip 2100 Miles. Either something’s wrong with your odometer or you did hack of a drive in Savannah. Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
From your place to Savannah Georgia is about 1050 Miles ,same as from my place In NJ to Edgewater FL where I’m now.
Round trip 2100 Miles. Either something’s wrong with your odometer or you did hack of a drive in Savannah. Sorry for your loss.
Something is wrong with you Gizmo

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
sorry for your loss
its too bad you didn't get the iba documentation but you are a hat club member

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
by the way i wish there was a way to flip the highway boards up when your stuck in stop and go traffic as i found them to make keeping the bike stable awkward at times
Sorry for your loss. Glad you were able to get there in time. Your problem with the highway boards is common for folks with short legs. I like them but can't use them because I can't reach the ground comfortably.:)

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
My condolences on your Grandmother’s passing. But I am glad you enjoyed your ride. Savannah is a neat town.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gizmo i thank you for honesty in questioning my miles Savannah was only where the nurseing home my grandmother was in where she passed and where her viewing was she lived in Cairo ga witch will explain my millage more as well as my slight detor intonfla to see a dear friend befor i came back.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

Sometimes we have to put on the miles in a hurry to get something done, such as in your case. I am glad you got home safe.

However, I believe to do a 1000 miles in a day to do a 1000 miles in a day is unsafe and illegal in quite a few states. One might want to call your insurance company and see if you are covered on a planned Iron Butt Ride.
I am sorry for your loss, glad your safely home! I don' t think you are gonna participate in an Iron-butt, regardless i don't know anyone who would be so lacking of intelligence as to have an accident during an iron-butt and tell the LEO OR THE INSURANCE that " I think it is only right that I confess to riding in an Iron-butt " or to call your insurance agent with a question like that. I don't believe they would have any way of knowing unless they are told! SHEESH! :confused:

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
" I think it is only right that I confess to riding in an Iron-butt " or to call your insurance agent with a question like that. I don't believe they would have any way of knowing unless they are told! SHEESH! :confused:
What if they insisted you " drop trou " and checked your cheeks for seat impressions. How you going to explain that ?

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Sorry for your loss.....That's one heck of a trip on two wheels with that on your mind....I'm glad you did it safely.

Mark

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
while i hope to never ever take that type of suddenly draining ride again and it was draining, i think the only reasion i made it was training kicked in and i just focused on the endgame. as for doing it again maybe if i was better prepared both in body and mind and was better able to make sure my bike was up for it. and i had the needed things to cover anything that might have happened along the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts