Honda Goldwing Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Rapier, you rode a distance equal to 54% of the circumference of the earth.

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
Left the house, took a right and went half way around the world. Pretty sweet.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Don't mind saying Rapier, that was one helluva run, my hat's off to you man! I forget, but did you have new tires on the Wing before you left? I have soooo many questions to ask you but I'll likely never get the chance to ask 'em all without pestering you steady. Anyhoo, here's to you big time!:cool:
p.s. shoudn't you be like, comatose about now?:eek:
Yes, I had a pair of E3's put on about 2 weeks before I left, so by the time that I got to Houston they had somewhere around 1500 miles on them before I had the Centramatics put on.

Feel free to ask any questions that you have. If my experience helps another rider, whether they're going on a long ride or just trying to learn something about preparing for a long ride, I'm glad to share my small bit of information.

And, yeah, that one day of recovery kinda stretched to two. Once away from the bike I realized that taking some time off from riding was what I needed to get my head right for the "normal" riding that I do here (daily commute into DC.)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Actually, I was looking at Michigan and Wisconsin first. Gives me an excuse to make a run around Lake Michigan and wouldn't take nearly as long. Could also collect up Kentucky if I got really goal-minded. However, as I burnt up every possible minute of annual leave that I had saved, I'll have to put long trips on hold for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
If you are going around Lake Michigan take a look at running west on US 2 to get North Dakota. Really good ride you did. I've had a map out every night looking at the sights.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
If you were asked, what would you say you learned from your trip?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
If you were asked, what would you say you learned from your trip?
Learn as much as you can about the weather conditions that you may face prior to leaving and prepare for the worst. I knew that it was going to be hot in the southwest (dry heat) and it was going to be muggy on the east coast (humidity) and that staying hydrated was going to be important. I saw 107 degree heat in the desert of California and 115 heat index temperatures as I travelled south from Virginia.

Oh, and although I had a rain jacket and pants, I must have set some sort of record as I had a total of just about 100 miles on the ENTIRE trip in the rain - something like .07% of the total distance. Sure surprised me!

I learned that sometimes putting clothing on was the way to stay cooler in extreme heat and that evaporative cooling accessories/clothing are way underrated as they do much, much more that you'd expect. Closing the vents on my suit and making sure that no skin was exposed was actually much more comfortable in 107 degree heat.

Staying hydrated made me prepare a home-made hydration system well before I departed and I used it every day, extreme heat or not. I took a small $14 cooler from Walmart, drilled a couple of holes in the lid for the tubing from two Platypus (like Camelbak) bladders and could drink from them while on the move. I had nothing but water in one and the other had a 50% mix of water and Gatorade. The mix allowed me to have some flavor, but it also gave me back some salts that I was abviously sweating out. With ice in the cooler I could have a cold drink anytime and I didn't have to spend any time stopped just to hydrate.

Also, I learned that travelling any longer than 60-90 minutes meant a much longer recovery time overall. If you stop on a regular schedule, you'll be much happier and the trip won't feel nearly as tedious when you're at a point where you are trying just to put miles under the tires. Base your breaks on either time or distance, but schedule them. They will become mini-goals that take away some of the mind-numbing aspect over covering hundreds of miles on the interstates.

Lastly, on evaporative cooling and overall comfort, LDComfort clothing does exactly what they advertise. I was amazed that when after a quick fill-up, I'd get up to speed and feel the cooling aspect from just the few minutes of sweat that the fabric had collected and was then using to cool me down. And Anti-Monkey Butt Powder stops you from getting the sores/pimples on your backside. One person said to me that those sores are actually the equivalent of bed sores, which makes perfect sense when you have the same patch of skin contacting the saddle through your clothing. Cotton underwear/pants are absolutely NOT your best friend when you're riding for long periods in hot or humid/wet weather. And if you plan on wearing a mesh riding suit or pants, you'll find that you can wear that while your travelling every day and only have to have one or two pairs of pants for when you've stopped for the evening. As I was wearing the same riding suit for the entire trip, I found I didn't have to plan on doing large loads of laundry because I was only having to wash underwear and socks. Granted, the suit started to take on alife of its own after a while, but a small bottle of Fabreze or watered down vodka in a spray bottle that is applied and then allowed to dry throughly will help knock down the sweat smell.

·
Premium Member
17,129 Posts
Mike you have done what many of us will only dream about. Way to go.
Enjoyed having coffee with you and your Dad.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Mike you have done what many of us will only dream about. Way to go.
Enjoyed having coffee with you and your Dad.
Ron
Thanks, Ron! It was a pleasure meeting you as well. Don't know when I'll get back to your neck of the woods, but if/when I do, I'll be sure to look you up.

Oh, and thanks for the package you sent along. I'm sure the folks at work tomorrow will enjoy it as well when I show off your new invention.

·
Premium Member
17,129 Posts
Looking forward to meeting up again someday
Ron

121 - 131 of 131 Posts